- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Monday 10:29 AM
Four Instagram-famous sisters with large social media followings have purposely distanced themselves from their anti-Muslim, alt-right, Trump-supporting mother Pamela Geller, whose speech has been described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “hate speech,” the Daily Beast reported Wednesday.
In an investigation into Claudia, Jackie, Olivia, and Margo Oshry, the Daily Beast details the lengths the sisters, primarily YouTube morning show hosts Claudia and Jackie, have gone to in order to hide their relationship with their mother from the public eye, despite having millions of social media followers between the four of them. Family photos or references to family have been scrubbed from Instagram accounts, Claudia’s engagement and wedding photos are noticeably missing an appearance from Geller, and none of the daughters follow their mother on social media, despite spending time with Geller and vacationing with her often.
While the sisters haven’t spoken out against Geller’s views, Claudia, Jackie, and Margo have all posted content alluding to a possible political alignment with their mother. Claudia previously posted a tweet stating, “Listening to Obama talk about ISIS is like listening to me talk about quantum physics,” while Jackie later quoted the tweet with “Listening to Obama talk about ISIS is like listening to me talk about boys. I too don’t understand the enemy.” Jackie has also gone on several rants on Twitter and Snapchat about President Barack Obama, leading some followers to call her “JacKKKie,” while Margo has posted a picture of herself on Instagram wearing a gold MAGA hat at President Donald Trump’s inauguration.
After the story’s publication, Claudia provided the following statement to the Daily Beast: “We want to be clear to our audience and fans that our political and cultural beliefs are not anti-Muslim or anti-anyone. Our views are separate from our mother’s. Being raised by a single parent, we were taught to make our own choices based on our personal beliefs. We are inspired to think for ourselves and we do. We do not condone discrimination or racist beliefs of any kind.”
Read more at the Daily Beast.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.