- Google CEO tells Congress why searching ‘idiot’ results in Trump images Tuesday 3:52 PM
- Netflix’s year-end data dump shows what people binged in 2018 Tuesday 3:13 PM
- Snowden joins calls for Google to end controversial Chinese search engine Tuesday 1:51 PM
- There’s still time for Congress to reinstate net neutrality Tuesday 1:24 PM
- George R.R. Martin promises fans he’ll finish ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ … someday Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The Boss tears down his myths on Netflix’s ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ Tuesday 10:56 AM
- Vlogger banned from Twitter for disturbing pro-pedophilia posts Tuesday 10:45 AM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Nintendo’s greatest labor of love Tuesday 10:44 AM
- Miranda Sings creator Colleen Ballinger gives birth to baby boy Tuesday 10:26 AM
- Columbia University student goes on white supremacy rant in viral video Tuesday 9:58 AM
- PewDiePie promotes YouTube account that features anti-Semitism, Nazi imagery Tuesday 9:20 AM
- FCC investigates major wireless carrier for lying about coverage Tuesday 8:40 AM
- Get this best-selling pressure cooker for half off, today only Tuesday 8:30 AM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez compares her victory at 28 to Paul Ryan’s—and calls out a double standard Tuesday 8:22 AM
- If you’ve always lusted after a KitchenAid mixer, it’s over $80 off today Tuesday 8:00 AM
Four Instagram-famous sisters with large social media followings have purposely distanced themselves from their anti-Muslim, alt-right, Trump-supporting mother Pamela Geller, whose speech has been described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “hate speech,” the Daily Beast reported Wednesday.
In an investigation into Claudia, Jackie, Olivia, and Margo Oshry, the Daily Beast details the lengths the sisters, primarily YouTube morning show hosts Claudia and Jackie, have gone to in order to hide their relationship with their mother from the public eye, despite having millions of social media followers between the four of them. Family photos or references to family have been scrubbed from Instagram accounts, Claudia’s engagement and wedding photos are noticeably missing an appearance from Geller, and none of the daughters follow their mother on social media, despite spending time with Geller and vacationing with her often.
While the sisters haven’t spoken out against Geller’s views, Claudia, Jackie, and Margo have all posted content alluding to a possible political alignment with their mother. Claudia previously posted a tweet stating, “Listening to Obama talk about ISIS is like listening to me talk about quantum physics,” while Jackie later quoted the tweet with “Listening to Obama talk about ISIS is like listening to me talk about boys. I too don’t understand the enemy.” Jackie has also gone on several rants on Twitter and Snapchat about President Barack Obama, leading some followers to call her “JacKKKie,” while Margo has posted a picture of herself on Instagram wearing a gold MAGA hat at President Donald Trump’s inauguration.
After the story’s publication, Claudia provided the following statement to the Daily Beast: “We want to be clear to our audience and fans that our political and cultural beliefs are not anti-Muslim or anti-anyone. Our views are separate from our mother’s. Being raised by a single parent, we were taught to make our own choices based on our personal beliefs. We are inspired to think for ourselves and we do. We do not condone discrimination or racist beliefs of any kind.”
Read more at the Daily Beast.
Samantha Grasso is an IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.