- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members 6 Months Ago
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis 6 Months Ago
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
Queer Twitter is melting over the engagement of Orlando Pride soccer players Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris.
The couple announced their engagement in an interview with People, in which they talked about how they met and got to know each other, as well as why they hid their relationship for so long.
Krieger and Harris met nearly a decade ago in 2010, when they were both playing for the U.S. Women’s National Team. Like many of the sweetest romances, it started out with them becoming close friends through all the time shared traveling, training, and playing together.
“We became really close friends, and we just hung out, we clicked, and we had so much in common. We always sat next to each other on the bus and on flights, and we kind of just talked about our dreams and our hopes,” Harris told People. “Here we are, nine years later, and we’re going to be getting married this year.”
While Krieger no longer plays on the Women’s National Team, she and Harris are now teammates on the Orlando Pride. They’ve been dating for several years and have been engaged since September, but they didn’t go public until now. According to the couple, they didn’t want their relationship status to create a distraction for their teammates.
“We wanted to be professional and make sure that we showed up every day and did our job and it wasn’t just because we were together, it was because we love what we do, and we’re really good at what we do,” said Krieger.
Even though they’ve only just gone public, some fans have suspected sparks between the defender and goalkeeper for a while and have used the hashtag #krashlyn to talk about the potential couple. That hashtag is now overflowing with feelings and people basically saying, “I told you so.”
Instagram, Facebook, and WhatsApp are all down on the day @alikrieger & @Ashlyn_Harris announce their engagement via @people. Coincidence? I think not. We all knew they’d break the internet eventually. #Krashlyn— M. Ullrich (@MUllrichAuthor) March 14, 2019
The couple plans to marry in Florida near the end of the year.
- The dirty, complex, empowering history of the word ‘queer’
- Asexuality is real—and it has nothing to do with celibacy
- I’m a lesbian and a transgender woman—and those two aren’t mutually exclusive
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.