- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies 4 Years Ago
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening 4 Years Ago
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Today 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Today 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Today 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Today 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Today 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Today 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Today 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Today 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Today 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Today 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Today 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Today 12:33 PM
- Every house in ‘Skyrim’ and how to get them all Today 12:28 PM
The report features an interactive map of the United States, ranking each state’s concentration of virgins and the concentration of people looking for casual sex. At the top of the virginity ranking is Utah, with nearly 20 percent of OkCupid users from the state identifying as virgins. Utah is closely followed by South Dakota, at 18 percent. By contrast, Vermont ranks lowest—only 9 percent of OkCupid users from the Green Mountain State are virgins.
This the not first time that a dating site has uncovered data about the state of virginity in Utah. Back in 2013, Seeking Arrangement—a dating site for sugar daddies and sugar babies in search of one another—found that one in seven women in Salt Lake City are virgins. Additionally, the women of SLC are more likely to become sexually active later in life; while the national average age for virginity loss is 18, in SLC the average age is 20.
Utah isn’t lacking in surprises, however: Just because the state has a high concentration of virgins doesn’t mean that those OkCupid users who are sexually active aren’t looking for flings. The state ranks at No. 24 for the highest concentration of people looking for casual hookups, with nearly 12 percent of Utah’s OkCupid users interested in one-night stands. (The No. 1 state in the nation for casual hookups is good ol’ Oregon.)
OkCupid is a heavily data-driven site, so the company has collected statistics on everything from sexual habits to political views. If you’re curious to know how often OkCupid users masturbate, whether they prefer Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary race, and even which emojis are most popular in messages, head on over to read the full report.
Carrie Nelson is a writer and documentary filmmaker. Nelson’s reporting for the Daily Dot focused on LGBTQ issues, feminism, and internet culture.