- Facebook says ‘millions,’ not ‘tens of thousands,’ affected by Instagram password bug 3 Years Ago
- Leading 2020 Democrats mock redactions in Mueller report Today 4:04 PM
- 8 weed accessories for stealthy stoners Today 4:00 PM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players are now fighting on giant d*cks Today 3:37 PM
- Why are Facebook and Google translating this Spanish word into a racial slur? Today 3:32 PM
- Instagram page encourages meme creators to join a meme union Today 3:24 PM
- 28 smokin’ hot gifts for your stoner friend Today 1:33 PM
- The 5 most important conclusions from Robert Mueller’s report Today 1:28 PM
- Facebook bans many of the U.K.’s infamous far-right groups Today 1:15 PM
- Cersei and Tyrion Lannister learned about respect from Elmo Today 12:57 PM
- The Mueller Report includes a footnote about the pee tape Today 12:08 PM
- Trump at the start of Mueller investigation: ‘I’m f*cked’ Today 11:19 AM
- Joe Rogan’s podcast has a serious women problem Today 11:10 AM
- The best Mother’s Day gifts for every budget Today 11:04 AM
- Dog watches the digging of its own grave—and Twitter is shook Today 10:30 AM
If Virginia is for lovers, Utah is for virgins.
The report features an interactive map of the United States, ranking each state’s concentration of virgins and the concentration of people looking for casual sex. At the top of the virginity ranking is Utah, with nearly 20 percent of OkCupid users from the state identifying as virgins. Utah is closely followed by South Dakota, at 18 percent. By contrast, Vermont ranks lowest—only 9 percent of OkCupid users from the Green Mountain State are virgins.
This the not first time that a dating site has uncovered data about the state of virginity in Utah. Back in 2013, Seeking Arrangement—a dating site for sugar daddies and sugar babies in search of one another—found that one in seven women in Salt Lake City are virgins. Additionally, the women of SLC are more likely to become sexually active later in life; while the national average age for virginity loss is 18, in SLC the average age is 20.
Utah isn’t lacking in surprises, however: Just because the state has a high concentration of virgins doesn’t mean that those OkCupid users who are sexually active aren’t looking for flings. The state ranks at No. 24 for the highest concentration of people looking for casual hookups, with nearly 12 percent of Utah’s OkCupid users interested in one-night stands. (The No. 1 state in the nation for casual hookups is good ol’ Oregon.)
OkCupid is a heavily data-driven site, so the company has collected statistics on everything from sexual habits to political views. If you’re curious to know how often OkCupid users masturbate, whether they prefer Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary race, and even which emojis are most popular in messages, head on over to read the full report.
Carrie Nelson is a writer and documentary filmmaker. Nelson’s reporting for the Daily Dot focused on LGBTQ issues, feminism, and internet culture.