- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free 3 Years Ago
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
If Virginia is for lovers, Utah is for virgins.
The report features an interactive map of the United States, ranking each state’s concentration of virgins and the concentration of people looking for casual sex. At the top of the virginity ranking is Utah, with nearly 20 percent of OkCupid users from the state identifying as virgins. Utah is closely followed by South Dakota, at 18 percent. By contrast, Vermont ranks lowest—only 9 percent of OkCupid users from the Green Mountain State are virgins.
This the not first time that a dating site has uncovered data about the state of virginity in Utah. Back in 2013, Seeking Arrangement—a dating site for sugar daddies and sugar babies in search of one another—found that one in seven women in Salt Lake City are virgins. Additionally, the women of SLC are more likely to become sexually active later in life; while the national average age for virginity loss is 18, in SLC the average age is 20.
Utah isn’t lacking in surprises, however: Just because the state has a high concentration of virgins doesn’t mean that those OkCupid users who are sexually active aren’t looking for flings. The state ranks at No. 24 for the highest concentration of people looking for casual hookups, with nearly 12 percent of Utah’s OkCupid users interested in one-night stands. (The No. 1 state in the nation for casual hookups is good ol’ Oregon.)
OkCupid is a heavily data-driven site, so the company has collected statistics on everything from sexual habits to political views. If you’re curious to know how often OkCupid users masturbate, whether they prefer Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary race, and even which emojis are most popular in messages, head on over to read the full report.
Carrie Nelson is a writer and documentary filmmaker. Nelson’s reporting for the Daily Dot focused on LGBTQ issues, feminism, and internet culture.