- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets 4 Years Ago
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Today 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
If Virginia is for lovers, Utah is for virgins.
The report features an interactive map of the United States, ranking each state’s concentration of virgins and the concentration of people looking for casual sex. At the top of the virginity ranking is Utah, with nearly 20 percent of OkCupid users from the state identifying as virgins. Utah is closely followed by South Dakota, at 18 percent. By contrast, Vermont ranks lowest—only 9 percent of OkCupid users from the Green Mountain State are virgins.
This the not first time that a dating site has uncovered data about the state of virginity in Utah. Back in 2013, Seeking Arrangement—a dating site for sugar daddies and sugar babies in search of one another—found that one in seven women in Salt Lake City are virgins. Additionally, the women of SLC are more likely to become sexually active later in life; while the national average age for virginity loss is 18, in SLC the average age is 20.
Utah isn’t lacking in surprises, however: Just because the state has a high concentration of virgins doesn’t mean that those OkCupid users who are sexually active aren’t looking for flings. The state ranks at No. 24 for the highest concentration of people looking for casual hookups, with nearly 12 percent of Utah’s OkCupid users interested in one-night stands. (The No. 1 state in the nation for casual hookups is good ol’ Oregon.)
OkCupid is a heavily data-driven site, so the company has collected statistics on everything from sexual habits to political views. If you’re curious to know how often OkCupid users masturbate, whether they prefer Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary race, and even which emojis are most popular in messages, head on over to read the full report.
Carrie Nelson is a writer and documentary filmmaker. Nelson’s reporting for the Daily Dot focused on LGBTQ issues, feminism, and internet culture.