- Fan uncovers ‘Westworld’ trailers hidden on fictional company’s website Sunday 8:18 PM
- This trending Twitter hashtag is a lot less sexy than you think Sunday 7:23 PM
- TikTok users share life-changing realizations they’ve had while in the shower Sunday 7:04 PM
- People are torn over viral TikTok of girl cleaning friend’s room Sunday 4:01 PM
- Did Pete Buttigieg seriously just rip-off a famous Obama speech? Sunday 2:50 PM
- The most dangerous TikTok challenges we’ve seen—so far Sunday 2:22 PM
- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review Sunday 1:44 PM
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids Sunday 1:08 PM
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Sunday 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Sunday 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Sunday 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
The report features an interactive map of the United States, ranking each state’s concentration of virgins and the concentration of people looking for casual sex. At the top of the virginity ranking is Utah, with nearly 20 percent of OkCupid users from the state identifying as virgins. Utah is closely followed by South Dakota, at 18 percent. By contrast, Vermont ranks lowest—only 9 percent of OkCupid users from the Green Mountain State are virgins.
This the not first time that a dating site has uncovered data about the state of virginity in Utah. Back in 2013, Seeking Arrangement—a dating site for sugar daddies and sugar babies in search of one another—found that one in seven women in Salt Lake City are virgins. Additionally, the women of SLC are more likely to become sexually active later in life; while the national average age for virginity loss is 18, in SLC the average age is 20.
Utah isn’t lacking in surprises, however: Just because the state has a high concentration of virgins doesn’t mean that those OkCupid users who are sexually active aren’t looking for flings. The state ranks at No. 24 for the highest concentration of people looking for casual hookups, with nearly 12 percent of Utah’s OkCupid users interested in one-night stands. (The No. 1 state in the nation for casual hookups is good ol’ Oregon.)
OkCupid is a heavily data-driven site, so the company has collected statistics on everything from sexual habits to political views. If you’re curious to know how often OkCupid users masturbate, whether they prefer Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary race, and even which emojis are most popular in messages, head on over to read the full report.
Carrie Nelson is a writer and documentary filmmaker. Nelson’s reporting for the Daily Dot focused on LGBTQ issues, feminism, and internet culture.