- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
Baton Rouge police officer who shot Alton Sterling reportedly fired as new video is released
Baton Rouge Officer Blane Salamoni, who was involved in the fatal shooting of Alton Sterling, has been fired for “violating use-of-force policies,” CNN reported on Friday. Following Chief Murphy Paul’s announcement of Salamoni’s firing, police released graphic body camera and surveillance footage from the shooting.
The department had originally said Salamoni’s body camera fell off during the shooting and did not capture the shooting. But the body camera footage released Friday shows Salamoni pulling his gun on Sterling and yelling profanities at him only moments after arriving on the scene.
“Don’t move or I’ll shoot your fucking ass, bitch,” Salamoni says. “Put your fucking hands on the car or I’m going to shoot your fucking head!”
Warning: The following video contains graphic content.
Howie Lake II, the other officer involved, has been suspended for three days without pay “for losing his temper” during the July 2016 incident, CNN reported.
Sterling’s death sparked nationwide outrage, prompting #BlackLivesMatter protests across the nation during heightened tensions around police brutality and police shootings of Black men. A viral cell phone video showed the officers tackling Sterling the ground before shooting him.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.