- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
Update: Nigeria blast ripples through Twitter
People worldwide are talking about an apparent bombing of a United Nations building in Abuja, Nigeria.
A deadly attack at a United Nations building in Nigeria has left at least 16 people dead and more than 10 injured, according to the Associated Press.
The Twitter hashtags #abuja and #nigeria were top trending topics Friday after a sedan reportedly broke through exit of the U.N. compound near the Nigerian capital of Abuja, crashed into the buildings main entrance and detonated a bomb inside the car.
Some of the injured were taken to the National Hospital in Abuja where Luke Skylolo has been tweeting as events unfold. Skylolo claimed he was at the hospital with a friend who was in an unrelated accident when he heard the explosion at the UN building.
Skylolo has agreed to answer questions for the Daily Dot, and we’ll update this story with his responses.
Here is our update:
Skylolo, 27, has taken some time to reflect on the explosion after spending hours at Nigeria’s National Hospital watching victim after victim arriving.
“Doesn’t make sense at all, I’m just appalled. I pray the government does something quick to curb the scourge,” Skylolo wrote in a private Twitter message to the Daily Dot. “Whoever is responsible for this should remember that they’re only hurting innocent people and one day their loved ones will be hurt too.
Skylolo said he was at the hospital Friday to donate blood for a friend who was involved in an accident the night before. While there, he heard the explosions at the United Nations building located about a thousand yards away.
He said he saw 10 people brought to the hospital with injuries, including one police officer with a head wound and a man with severe burns, Skylolo said.
Skylolo is currently on his way to Lagos, a conurbation of Nigeria, where he works for Laptops for Learning, a non-governmental organization, he said.
Photo by @SheriphSkills
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.