- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football 6 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
If Miley Cyrus twerked on world news, would America finally care?
Enjoy Saddam Hussein and Miley Cyrus in a way you never wanted to.
Yesterday, the Onion threw a nice right hook at CNN for running an article about Miley Cyrus’s Sunday night VMA performance above breaking world news. Think pieces about Cyrus’s sexuality popped up everywhere. So did sexist responses to her performance. Cultural critics spoke of her appropriating black culture. Rap purists panned Cyrus’s revisonist view of twerking—watered down and repackaged for the masses. There were also so many GIFs. So many that we couldn’t stop hate-sharing them.
As the Onion pointed out, the more important news of the day was buried in favor of a bunch of crotch shots, a troubling trend that more hard news outlets are joining. A new Tumblr called Miley Twerking on Things We Should Talk About has appeared, gently reminding us that there is a reality outside of our pop-culture dome. Egypt and Syria exist, and there, no one cares what twerking is.
Enjoy Saddam Hussein and Miley Cyrus in a way you never wanted to:
And Chelsea Manning:
And a lot more.
Photo via mileycyrustwerkingonreality/Tumblr
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.