- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Scott Indrisek’s Mattresses of New York turns Manhattan’s beds into high art
One New Yorker’s discarded, bedbug-infested mattress is Scott Indrisek’s work of art.
One New Yorker’s discarded, bedbug-infested mattress is another’s work of art.
Scott Indrisek, 33, is the creator of the single-serving Tumblr blog Mattresses of New York, a compendium of pictures of stained, slashed, and filthy discarded beds inspired by the photo blog Humans of New York (HONY).
Each photo of a mattress includes a funny fictional story about it. You’ll also learn its location, so you can visit it in person.
“Photographing mattresses and reinventing them as ‘sculptures’ is perhaps a way to deal with my own phobias,” Indrisek told me. “Mattresses of New York seemed like a fun way to deal with both my OCD and my love/hate relationship with the contemporary art world.”
Indrisek’s Tumblr blog was also inspired by artists like Tracey Emin and Sarah Lucas, who used beds in their work. He was also moved by the ‘unmonumental’ trend in contemporary sculpture, in which a ruined box spring and a cup of coffee could take on new life in a gallery or museum.
“I tend to like the mattresses that are in pairs, and that seem to be leaning on each other in some way,” he added. “They almost look like dejected, drunken people, groping each other on the street corner.”
This isn’t the first success Indrisek has had with single serving Tumblr blogs. He is the creator of jamesfrancowithdicks.tumblr.com, Fifty Shades of Grey Lady, Brant Watch, and most notably Shit My Cats Read, featuring photos of cute cats reading books. Indrisek is also executive editor of Modern Painters magazine and a senior staff writer for Artinfo.com.
Check out some more of New York’s ugliest mattesses below.
Photos by Scott Indrisek
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.