- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America 5 Months Ago
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Today 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Today 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Today 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Today 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Today 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Today 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Today 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Today 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Today 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Today 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Today 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Today 9:57 AM
- 47 House Democrats sign criticized net neutrality working group letter Today 9:17 AM
Mattel is reportedly considering same-sex couple Barbies after being contacted by a soon-to-be-married gay couple.
The couple, Matt Jacobi and Nick Caprio, explained how this all came about to Good Morning America last week. “Everyone is so excited for our big day, especially my two nieces,” Jacobi said. “They have been talking about our wedding all year long and have been raised to understand and only know that love is love.”
It was the older flower girl’s eighth birthday recently, and because she is so excited about being a part of their wedding, Jacobi and Caprio wanted to get her a Barbie wedding set. “I went out to look for a meaningful birthday present. She loves Barbies, playing with her dolls, just like any other kid,” Jacobi said. “I wanted to give her something related to the wedding but also something she would enjoy.”
The couple found a wedding set that had almost everything they needed; it even had two flower girls, just like their wedding. Unfortunately, the sets were only available with a bride and a groom. Jacobi and Caprio decided to get creative. They bought the wedding set and more, mixed and matched, and put together their own gay wedding for their niece. “I hope our custom gift inspires you to make a #GayWedding set!” Jacobi wrote in his Instagram post, tagging Mattel.
A little less than a week later, Jacobi updated his Instagram to let supporters know that Mattel had gotten the message. “We are setting up a meeting to discuss more. We are meeting with their design team including the head of the @barbie design team!!” Jacobi wrote. “Let’s get a same sex wedding set made!”
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.