- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay 2 Years Ago
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ 2 Years Ago
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone chargers Today 6:00 AM
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
22-year-old Juan Javier Cruz was out with his friends early Sunday morning when a man suddenly approached them, shouting homophobic slurs. Cruz stood up to the gunman and was fatally shot—but he might have saved his friends’ lives.
After Restaurante Y Pupuseria Las Flores in Lake Worth, Florida, closed around 1am, suspect Nelson Hernandez Mena allegedly confronted Cruz and his friends, harassing the five men, some of whom are gay, threatening their lives.
“I hate you damned gays,” Mena allegedly shouted, according to BuzzFeed News. “I’m going to kill you all here.”
Cruz came to his friends’ defense. But Mena allegedly responded by unholstering a handgun from his pants and firing, fatally shooting Cruz and wounding another man. Cruz’s cousin, Pedro Cruz, believes Mena was targeting him, but that Cruz pushed him out of the way to save his life. Cruz died at the scene, in his cousin’s arms.
Mena was arrested at 10am on Sunday morning. He faces charges of first-degree murder, attempted murder, and aggravated assault with a firearm. As of Monday, Mena remains held without bail at the Palm Beach County jail.
While an investigation is underway, the Florida State Attorney’s office said it’s too early to say whether Mena will face hate crime charges.
“First-degree murder cannot be enhanced as it’s a capital crime, but any lesser charge could be enhanced if the investigation establishes hate motivation on targeting the victim,” spokesman Michael Edmondson told the Sun Sentinel.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.