- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
22-year-old Juan Javier Cruz was out with his friends early Sunday morning when a man suddenly approached them, shouting homophobic slurs. Cruz stood up to the gunman and was fatally shot—but he might have saved his friends’ lives.
After Restaurante Y Pupuseria Las Flores in Lake Worth, Florida, closed around 1am, suspect Nelson Hernandez Mena allegedly confronted Cruz and his friends, harassing the five men, some of whom are gay, threatening their lives.
“I hate you damned gays,” Mena allegedly shouted, according to BuzzFeed News. “I’m going to kill you all here.”
Cruz came to his friends’ defense. But Mena allegedly responded by unholstering a handgun from his pants and firing, fatally shooting Cruz and wounding another man. Cruz’s cousin, Pedro Cruz, believes Mena was targeting him, but that Cruz pushed him out of the way to save his life. Cruz died at the scene, in his cousin’s arms.
Mena was arrested at 10am on Sunday morning. He faces charges of first-degree murder, attempted murder, and aggravated assault with a firearm. As of Monday, Mena remains held without bail at the Palm Beach County jail.
While an investigation is underway, the Florida State Attorney’s office said it’s too early to say whether Mena will face hate crime charges.
“First-degree murder cannot be enhanced as it’s a capital crime, but any lesser charge could be enhanced if the investigation establishes hate motivation on targeting the victim,” spokesman Michael Edmondson told the Sun Sentinel.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.