- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Following the passage of North Carolina’s HB2 law, which bans transgender people from using the corresponding bathroom of which they identify, various sports organizations have responded by boycotting the state. The NBA moved the 2017 All-Star game away from Charlotte, and the NCAA’s Atlantic Coast Conference yanked all of its conference championship games out of North Carolina.
But instead of shunning Saturday’s game vs. Duke, the University of Maine men’s basketball is taking a different approach to protest the law. Before the game, which will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2, the Black Bears squad will wear rainbow-colored warmups.
In coordination with You Can Play, an organization dedicated to purging homophobia and transphobia in sports—and with the blessing of the America East Conference, which has been the most outspoken college conference on pro-LGBTQ issues—here’s the pregame shirt Maine will wear.
And here’s the team getting prepped for why its gesture is an important one.
The Black Bears will be a big betting underdog against the Duke Blue Devils—whose legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski has previously called the HB2 law an embarrassment to the state—and likely will be dominated on national TV. But Maine’s pregame outfits still will end up as the biggest winner of the day.
H/T The Comeback
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.