- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
Following the passage of North Carolina’s HB2 law, which bans transgender people from using the corresponding bathroom of which they identify, various sports organizations have responded by boycotting the state. The NBA moved the 2017 All-Star game away from Charlotte, and the NCAA’s Atlantic Coast Conference yanked all of its conference championship games out of North Carolina.
But instead of shunning Saturday’s game vs. Duke, the University of Maine men’s basketball is taking a different approach to protest the law. Before the game, which will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2, the Black Bears squad will wear rainbow-colored warmups.
In coordination with You Can Play, an organization dedicated to purging homophobia and transphobia in sports—and with the blessing of the America East Conference, which has been the most outspoken college conference on pro-LGBTQ issues—here’s the pregame shirt Maine will wear.
And here’s the team getting prepped for why its gesture is an important one.
The Black Bears will be a big betting underdog against the Duke Blue Devils—whose legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski has previously called the HB2 law an embarrassment to the state—and likely will be dominated on national TV. But Maine’s pregame outfits still will end up as the biggest winner of the day.
H/T The Comeback
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.