- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
Fox News contributor gets dunked on for wearing tiny bulletproof vest at border
While reporting from a town near the Mexican border, Fox News contributor Lawrence Jones wore what appeared to be a tiny bulletproof vest—and the internet can’t stop memeing it.
Jones was in Laredo, Texas, to report on the border for Sean Hannity’s Fox News program, touring the area with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials and interviewing them about their views on crime in the area. During a live portion of Jones’ segment, he wore what looked like a small bulletproof vest with a CBP patch. Jones tweeted a photo of him wearing the vest, and the internet had a field day.
— Lawrence Jones III (@LawrenceBJones3) April 4, 2019
Many journalists, activists, and ordinary people go near the border every day without any need for bulletproof vests. In particular, reporters who have worked in the same area as Jones called b.s. on the need for such gear when reporting on migrants simply trying to seek asylum.
Done a lot of stories w/CBP in my career. Also grew up on the border in the #RGV – And I’ve never worn a bulletproof vest.
Several times we’ve been there as groups of migrants are apprehended.
Safety is key for any journalist, crew or agent.
But so is true perspective. pic.twitter.com/55HwR8wcws
— Mireya Villarreal (@cbsmireya) April 5, 2019
Dude. Why are you wearing a bulletproof vest. YOU ARE NOT IN A WAR ZONE. Here I am reporting from the border recently WITHOUT a bulletproof vest, but WITH a coat of fabulous hairspray! pic.twitter.com/ftmBzjTBVT
— Lisa Guerrero 💃🏽 (@4lisaguerrero) April 4, 2019
Besides there not being a real need to wear a bulletproof vest at the border, the vest Jones wore just doesn’t appear to be very protective. Its small size leaves a large, vulnerable portion of his torso exposed, and one veteran stated that even when he zoomed in he couldn’t see any protective plating in the “bulletproof vest.” Some argued it looked more like a child’s backpack or a costume than any kind of defensive gear.
— Dafne Peña (@DafneHDSM) April 4, 2019
What is this? A vest for ants? https://t.co/WW5SfBkR1n
— Jessica Luther (@jessicawluther) April 4, 2019
If you dont take off that Walmart hiking baby carrier with the diaper and bottle pockets , who you think you going to war with Dora the Explorer , Boots is better equipped , you aint even prepared for whats in the BackPack
— T22J✨ (@Toyj22) April 4, 2019
Jones claimed CBP told him to put it on, replying to one journalist, “Border patrol made me wear it. Now, who’s the fool?” For some, the idea that CBP intentionally gave him an ill-fitting tactical vest, or even a backpack, made the whole situation even more hilarious.
Someone with CBP doesn’t like him very much.
— Robert MacLellan🇨🇦 (@robmacphotog) April 4, 2019
“Their vests”? You’re a fuckin idiot and a dupe, Jonesey. That thing you have on is a Halloween costume, and the officers who faked you into wearing it embarrassed the shit out of you with your permission.
No one has to make Fox look like fools. You do well enough at it.
— Jim Harris (@MrHarrisAWriter) April 5, 2019
It's like when they give kids little wings when they fly on an airline. Makes you feel special.
— Blake Rea (@MexicanRocket) April 5, 2019
While Jones may claim that he was wearing the “bulletproof vest” at the behest of CBP officials, some Twitter users felt this picture, taken during the same “live from the border” report, shows that CBP officials didn’t actually require him to wear protective gear.
- Adjusting to America: What happened to the migrant girl whose cries shook the country
- From Chicano to Xicanx: A brief history of a political and cultural identity
- Meet the undocumented students who are outspoken and unafraid of Trump’s DACA orders
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree