- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ 4 Years Ago
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 8:58 AM
- Christina Hendricks reveals she was the hand model for ‘American Beauty’ Today 8:30 AM
- Why can’t independent feminist websites stay afloat? Today 8:17 AM
- Far-right troll Jacob Wohl scammed a Trump fan out of $25,000 Today 7:54 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Buccaneers in key preseason action Today 7:02 AM
- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone chargers Today 6:00 AM
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
Jemima Kirke records PSA openly discussing her abortion
The ‘Girls’ star says she recorded the video to combat the ‘shame and embarrassment’ of having an abortion.
Although approximately one in three women will have abortions during their lifetimes, there’s still a huge stigma surrounding talking openly about having the procedure. Jemima Kirke, the star of HBO’s Girls, wants to get rid of that stigma. That’s why she recorded a PSA for the Center for Reproductive Rights, in which she discusses having had an abortion in 2007.
In the video, Kirke explains that she became pregnant by her then-boyfriend while she was attending the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, R.I. “I wasn’t sure I wanted to be attached to this person for the rest of my life,” Kirke says in the video. “My life was just not conducive to raising a happy, healthy child.”
Because she couldn’t tell her mother she was having an abortion, Kirke went to Planned Parenthood and paid out of pocket for her abortion. She also explains she had to forego the anesthesia during her abortion so she’d be able to afford it.
“I’ve always felt that reproductive issues should be something women should be able to talk about freely… and I still see shame and embarrassment around terminating pregnancies, getting pregnant,” she says of her decision to film the video.
Kirke has two daughters: a stepdaughter who’s 8 years old, and a younger daughter who’s 4. She says she recorded the video in part because she hopes that in the future, her children will not have to deal with ”the political issues surrounding their bodies… I would hate to see them fighting for rights over their bodies as well.”
H/T Fox News | Screengrab via Center for Reproductive Rights/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.