- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
A guide to breaking up over social media
Because breaking up IRL is hard to do.
When I was 14 I dumped my first boyfriend over AOL email. It was not a good look. However, times have changed. Now there’s a whole world of Internet communication options with which to sever ties with your significant other. One guy even divorced his wife over WhatsApp.
Of course, the preferred method of dumping someone is still IRL, but who has time for that? If you’re going to do it online, here are some tips on how to best cut someone loose on various apps.
“TFW you need to dump @boyfriend but are too lazy to call”
A photo of a sunset tagged with #weneedtotalk #michael #ineedspace #itsnotyouitsme
A video of you ollie-ing over a curb, yelling “What are thoooooooooooose?” and pointing to divorce papers.
Send a selfie to your soon-to-be ex with the caption “enjoy our last 10 seconds because it’s over.” Be sure to doodle a smiley face somewhere so they know you want to stay friends.
the stages of a breakup:
4. taking pictures of everything you do to make sure people know you’re having fun
— thomas violence (@thomas_violence) October 5, 2015
Changing your relationship status to ‘It’s complicated’ is so 2007. Instead, post that you’re breaking up with your SO, then proceed to get into a 70 response long reply argument, which will inevitably be posted on Reddit.
Request payment for “However much it takes to mend a broken heart, AMANDA.” Include at least three pizza emoji.
“We’re breaking up?” “Oh, like the connection is bad?” “No.”
Why mess with a classic? Leave it anywhere they’ll find!
Illustration by Max Fleishman
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'