- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show 4 Years Ago
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ 4 Years Ago
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
Because breaking up IRL is hard to do.
When I was 14 I dumped my first boyfriend over AOL email. It was not a good look. However, times have changed. Now there’s a whole world of Internet communication options with which to sever ties with your significant other. One guy even divorced his wife over WhatsApp.
Of course, the preferred method of dumping someone is still IRL, but who has time for that? If you’re going to do it online, here are some tips on how to best cut someone loose on various apps.
“TFW you need to dump @boyfriend but are too lazy to call”
A photo of a sunset tagged with #weneedtotalk #michael #ineedspace #itsnotyouitsme
A video of you ollie-ing over a curb, yelling “What are thoooooooooooose?” and pointing to divorce papers.
Send a selfie to your soon-to-be ex with the caption “enjoy our last 10 seconds because it’s over.” Be sure to doodle a smiley face somewhere so they know you want to stay friends.
the stages of a breakup:
4. taking pictures of everything you do to make sure people know you’re having fun
— thomas violence (@thomas_violence) October 5, 2015
Changing your relationship status to ‘It’s complicated’ is so 2007. Instead, post that you’re breaking up with your SO, then proceed to get into a 70 response long reply argument, which will inevitably be posted on Reddit.
Request payment for “However much it takes to mend a broken heart, AMANDA.” Include at least three pizza emoji.
“We’re breaking up?” “Oh, like the connection is bad?” “No.”
Why mess with a classic? Leave it anywhere they’ll find!
Illustration by Max Fleishman
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'