- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free 2 Years Ago
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free 2 Years Ago
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
Hawaii restaurant bombed with bad Yelp reviews for refusing Trump supporters
The aloha spirit is not in effect.
You could say Hawaii, a culture that embraces a third gender and a state where interracial marriage is the norm, is a very tolerant place. However, a Honolulu restaurant is making the news for refusing to show one particular group the aloha spirit: Trump supporters.
Italian restaurant Café 8 1/2 put up a sign this week that read, “If you voted for Trump you can not eat here! No Nazis.”
Photo via Yelp
It wasn’t long before customers started spamming the mostly five-star restaurant with one-star reviews on Yelp. “Went in here the other day while I was in the great state of Hawaii to look for Obamas [sic] birth certificate and stopped in here to get some chicken parm, and god damn it was horrible,” one wrote. Others have claimed food poisoning since the story picked up steam on Fox News or have simply derided “liberal hypocritical establishments” in general. The Yelp page is now under an “active cleanup alert,” so new reviews can no longer be posted.
One of Café 8 1/2’s owners, Jali Warner, told Fox News that her husband “Robert just wants to express how much he doesn’t like Trump. If people take it personally or it hurts them, we cannot help. That’s why we say they have [a] choice if they want to come or not come. We don’t force them.”
Hawaii consistently votes Democrat, with 60 percent of the popular vote having gone to Hillary Clinton in the presidential election; President Obama, originally from the Aloha State, is currently vacationing on Oahu with his family. It should also be noted that restauranteur Robert Warner originally hails from Seattle, where the unofficial motto isn’t a “hang loose” shaka sign. Just sayin’.
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.