- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream Today 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Today 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Today 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Today 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Today 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Today 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
Hawaii restaurant bombed with bad Yelp reviews for refusing Trump supporters
The aloha spirit is not in effect.
You could say Hawaii, a culture that embraces a third gender and a state where interracial marriage is the norm, is a very tolerant place. However, a Honolulu restaurant is making the news for refusing to show one particular group the aloha spirit: Trump supporters.
Italian restaurant Café 8 1/2 put up a sign this week that read, “If you voted for Trump you can not eat here! No Nazis.”
Photo via Yelp
It wasn’t long before customers started spamming the mostly five-star restaurant with one-star reviews on Yelp. “Went in here the other day while I was in the great state of Hawaii to look for Obamas [sic] birth certificate and stopped in here to get some chicken parm, and god damn it was horrible,” one wrote. Others have claimed food poisoning since the story picked up steam on Fox News or have simply derided “liberal hypocritical establishments” in general. The Yelp page is now under an “active cleanup alert,” so new reviews can no longer be posted.
One of Café 8 1/2’s owners, Jali Warner, told Fox News that her husband “Robert just wants to express how much he doesn’t like Trump. If people take it personally or it hurts them, we cannot help. That’s why we say they have [a] choice if they want to come or not come. We don’t force them.”
Hawaii consistently votes Democrat, with 60 percent of the popular vote having gone to Hillary Clinton in the presidential election; President Obama, originally from the Aloha State, is currently vacationing on Oahu with his family. It should also be noted that restauranteur Robert Warner originally hails from Seattle, where the unofficial motto isn’t a “hang loose” shaka sign. Just sayin’.
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.