- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public 3 Years Ago
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time 3 Years Ago
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Today 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Today 3:56 PM
- There’s a perfectly good reason why we can’t buy official Baby Yoda merch yet Today 3:00 PM
- Trump’s handwritten ‘I WANT NOTHING’ note gets memed Today 12:57 PM
- Facebook quietly launched a meme generator app called Whale Today 12:40 PM
- How to watch tonight’s fire Warriors vs. Mavericks matchup online Today 12:14 PM
- Android security flaw could have let hackers hijack your phone’s camera Today 12:10 PM
- How Julia Roberts playing Harriet Tubman became a meme Today 12:01 PM
- Woman banned from Instagram for sharing d*ck pic she didn’t ask for (updated) Today 11:55 AM
- People risking concussions for new TikTok challenge Today 11:14 AM
- A ‘Joker’ sequel could be in the works from Warner Bros. (updated) Today 11:06 AM
- Is Jake Paul going to fight again? There are plenty of clues Today 10:57 AM
- Ghostemane concert abruptly canceled amid ‘safety concerns’ and reported gun threat Today 10:41 AM
You could say Hawaii, a culture that embraces a third gender and a state where interracial marriage is the norm, is a very tolerant place. However, a Honolulu restaurant is making the news for refusing to show one particular group the aloha spirit: Trump supporters.
Italian restaurant Café 8 1/2 put up a sign this week that read, “If you voted for Trump you can not eat here! No Nazis.”
Photo via Yelp
It wasn’t long before customers started spamming the mostly five-star restaurant with one-star reviews on Yelp. “Went in here the other day while I was in the great state of Hawaii to look for Obamas [sic] birth certificate and stopped in here to get some chicken parm, and god damn it was horrible,” one wrote. Others have claimed food poisoning since the story picked up steam on Fox News or have simply derided “liberal hypocritical establishments” in general. The Yelp page is now under an “active cleanup alert,” so new reviews can no longer be posted.
One of Café 8 1/2’s owners, Jali Warner, told Fox News that her husband “Robert just wants to express how much he doesn’t like Trump. If people take it personally or it hurts them, we cannot help. That’s why we say they have [a] choice if they want to come or not come. We don’t force them.”
Hawaii consistently votes Democrat, with 60 percent of the popular vote having gone to Hillary Clinton in the presidential election; President Obama, originally from the Aloha State, is currently vacationing on Oahu with his family. It should also be noted that restauranteur Robert Warner originally hails from Seattle, where the unofficial motto isn’t a “hang loose” shaka sign. Just sayin’.
Jessica Machado is the IRL editor of the Daily Dot. Previously, she was an associate editor at Rolling Stone. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, Elle, Vice, Salon, BuzzFeed, Guernica, Bitch, Bust, the Cut, the Awl, the Toast, among others.