- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Wednesday 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Wednesday 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Wednesday 1:13 PM
How Yelp trolls made a bigoted restaurant owner a gay icon
Last week, Gary James, the owner of Oklahoma City restaurant Gary’s Chicaros, made national headlines when he told a local TV station that he refused to serve “f**gots” and other assorted “freaks.”
“I really don’t want gays around,” James said. “Any man that would compromise his own body would comprise anything.”
While James very well might not want “gays” to patronize his establishment, thanks to a bunch of tongue-in-cheek Yelp and Facebook commenters, they might be heading there anyway.
To retaliate against James’s homophobic remarks, Yelp commenters are waging an online campaign to make Gary’s Chicaro’s seem like the kind of wild, raunchy, uber-sex-positive, ultra-kinky establishment SNL’s Stefon would frequent. For the past week, commenters have been flooding the restaurant’s Yelp and Facebook pages with reviews praising James’ role as proprietor of the sparkliest, sweatiest, sluttiest, and all-around most fab gay bar this side of the Ozarks.
Here’s a sampling of some of Gary’s finest reviews (note: after reading them, you might be depressed that this place doesn’t actually exist).
Screengrabs via Gary’s Chicaros/Facebook
“People are flying in from all over to witness this #epicenter of #Gayness.”
“I’m a little concerned about the size of the glory holes in the men’s restroom.”
“The alcohol flowed like the hot bodies, free and wild.”
Screengrabs via Chicaro Club/Yelp
Not all of Gary’s reviews were glowing, however:
H/T Raw Story | Photo by RenoTahoe/Flickr (CC BY NC-ND 2.0)
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.