- Redditor wants to know if he’s the a**hole for ghosting pregnant partner Thursday 8:19 PM
- How to go live on TikTok Thursday 8:08 PM
- Joey Salads suggests Democrats carried out Santa Clarita mass shooting Thursday 7:31 PM
- How influencers use TikTok to make money and launch careers Thursday 7:18 PM
- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- How to watch Disney+ on a smart TV Thursday 6:28 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- How to get Disney+ bundle if you already subscribe to Hulu and/or ESPN+ Thursday 5:19 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
- How to sign up for Disney Plus Thursday 2:55 PM
How Yelp trolls made a bigoted restaurant owner a gay icon
Last week, Gary James, the owner of Oklahoma City restaurant Gary’s Chicaros, made national headlines when he told a local TV station that he refused to serve “f**gots” and other assorted “freaks.”
“I really don’t want gays around,” James said. “Any man that would compromise his own body would comprise anything.”
While James very well might not want “gays” to patronize his establishment, thanks to a bunch of tongue-in-cheek Yelp and Facebook commenters, they might be heading there anyway.
To retaliate against James’s homophobic remarks, Yelp commenters are waging an online campaign to make Gary’s Chicaro’s seem like the kind of wild, raunchy, uber-sex-positive, ultra-kinky establishment SNL’s Stefon would frequent. For the past week, commenters have been flooding the restaurant’s Yelp and Facebook pages with reviews praising James’ role as proprietor of the sparkliest, sweatiest, sluttiest, and all-around most fab gay bar this side of the Ozarks.
Here’s a sampling of some of Gary’s finest reviews (note: after reading them, you might be depressed that this place doesn’t actually exist).
Screengrabs via Gary’s Chicaros/Facebook
“People are flying in from all over to witness this #epicenter of #Gayness.”
“I’m a little concerned about the size of the glory holes in the men’s restroom.”
“The alcohol flowed like the hot bodies, free and wild.”
Screengrabs via Chicaro Club/Yelp
Not all of Gary’s reviews were glowing, however:
H/T Raw Story | Photo by RenoTahoe/Flickr (CC BY NC-ND 2.0)
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.