- Mortal Kombat 11 trailer delights fans with gory fatalities, new characters Thursday 5:46 PM
- What you need to know about the data breach involving 773 email addresses Thursday 5:13 PM
- Senators fear government shutdown may affect FTC investigation of Facebook Thursday 3:43 PM
- Buy beer for a furloughed government worker with this new website Thursday 3:19 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is teaching Congress how to tweet Thursday 2:42 PM
- Congressmen held genetics meeting with Chuck Johnson, despite his past racist claims about genetics Thursday 2:26 PM
- Female bodyguard thriller ‘Close’ is disappointingly un-thrilling Thursday 2:01 PM
- Twitter faces backlash for insensitive ‘triggers’ joke Thursday 1:13 PM
- 10 user-recommended sites for live tarot readings that are almost too good to be true Thursday 12:08 PM
- AsapSCIENCE comes for Jake Paul over Mystery Brand scam Thursday 11:34 AM
- Why ‘I never thought of it like that’ can actually be deeply offensive Thursday 11:26 AM
- Save 40% on the Fire TV Stick 4K when you rent textbooks through Amazon Thursday 11:05 AM
- Netflix reportedly used real disaster footage in ‘Bird Box’ Thursday 10:53 AM
- Holocaust denier Chuck Johnson spotted with 2 congressmen in Capitol Thursday 10:30 AM
- YouTuber who made popular Darth Vader fan film prevails in copyright fight Thursday 10:09 AM
A new ad spot for the wedding attire giant David’s Bridal features a lesbian couple, with the ad campaign telling brides to “rewrite the rules.”
The focus of David’s Bridals new ad campaign is inclusivity, highlighting diverse couples in love. “We wanted to make sure this spot represented what we see from brides today,” Liz Crystal, chief marketing officer for David’s Bridal, explained to AdAge.
While past David’s Bridal commercials have mostly been about the beautiful gowns and the store experience, this one shifted its focus to what a wedding day is really all about: the couple. The ad starts with an interracial couple getting married in a redwood forest. They are followed by a couple at the altar, the bride holding her baby girl. After them, a lesbian couple dancing at their wedding reception. The ad concludes with a barefoot couple walking on the beach.
The narration for the commercial uses the traditional wedding rhyme, “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue,” but it concludes on a different note, saying, “And above all else… something you.” The message is clear: You can tap into tradition if you want, but more important than any tradition is a couple’s love for each other.
David’s Bridal filed for bankruptcy protection in late 2018, and this new ad highlighting LGBTQ marriage may help bring new life into its stores. According to the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Law and Public Policy, LGBTQ weddings brought in $1.6 billion in growth to the national economy in the year after SCOTUS declared same-sex marriage legal. Those numbers have only continued to grow as LGBTQ acceptance increases.
People on Twitter celebrated the lesbian couple in the new ad, cheering for visibility, and joking that lesbians give David’s Bridal the opportunity to sell two wedding dresses.
Visibility matters! A lesbian couple was featured in this @davidsbridal commercial. Honestly, lesbian weddings should be the bridal market's biggest target: two sets of everything! 🌈👭pic.twitter.com/nJAPq1l84m
— Shomeo (@SassBaller) January 7, 2019
OKAY DAVIDS BRIDAL, I SEE THE LESBIAN COUPLE IN YOUR COMMERCIAL 👏🏼
— delaney morse (@delaneyrmorse) January 8, 2019
The “Rewrite the rules” ad campaign featuring the diverse couples will be played on TV, radio, and social media.
H/T Pink News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree