- PDF Association dunks on Mueller report PDF Friday 7:33 PM
- Robert Downey Jr. says ‘Endgame’ finale is ‘best 8 minutes’ of any MCU film Friday 4:42 PM
- Elizabeth Warren calls on Congress to impeach Trump Friday 3:43 PM
- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer Friday 2:56 PM
- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event Friday 1:33 PM
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Friday 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Friday 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Friday 12:00 PM
- 7 of the best psychological thriller movies on Shudder Friday 11:44 AM
- Seth Abramson’s epic Mueller thread finally comes to a conclusion Friday 11:40 AM
- Netflix is testing out a random play feature Friday 11:28 AM
- Teen star Danielle Cohn faked pregnancy for YouTube prank Friday 10:55 AM
- How to watch ‘A Discovery of Witches’ for free Friday 10:42 AM
- Rev up your own family rivalries with these ‘Game of Thrones’ board games Friday 10:29 AM
- Mueller’s ‘harm to ongoing matter’ is the best way to stay silent about your life Friday 10:21 AM
A new ad spot for the wedding attire giant David’s Bridal features a lesbian couple, with the ad campaign telling brides to “rewrite the rules.”
The focus of David’s Bridals new ad campaign is inclusivity, highlighting diverse couples in love. “We wanted to make sure this spot represented what we see from brides today,” Liz Crystal, chief marketing officer for David’s Bridal, explained to AdAge.
While past David’s Bridal commercials have mostly been about the beautiful gowns and the store experience, this one shifted its focus to what a wedding day is really all about: the couple. The ad starts with an interracial couple getting married in a redwood forest. They are followed by a couple at the altar, the bride holding her baby girl. After them, a lesbian couple dancing at their wedding reception. The ad concludes with a barefoot couple walking on the beach.
The narration for the commercial uses the traditional wedding rhyme, “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue,” but it concludes on a different note, saying, “And above all else… something you.” The message is clear: You can tap into tradition if you want, but more important than any tradition is a couple’s love for each other.
David’s Bridal filed for bankruptcy protection in late 2018, and this new ad highlighting LGBTQ marriage may help bring new life into its stores. According to the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Law and Public Policy, LGBTQ weddings brought in $1.6 billion in growth to the national economy in the year after SCOTUS declared same-sex marriage legal. Those numbers have only continued to grow as LGBTQ acceptance increases.
People on Twitter celebrated the lesbian couple in the new ad, cheering for visibility, and joking that lesbians give David’s Bridal the opportunity to sell two wedding dresses.
Visibility matters! A lesbian couple was featured in this @davidsbridal commercial. Honestly, lesbian weddings should be the bridal market's biggest target: two sets of everything! 🌈👭pic.twitter.com/nJAPq1l84m
— Shomeo (@SassBaller) January 7, 2019
OKAY DAVIDS BRIDAL, I SEE THE LESBIAN COUPLE IN YOUR COMMERCIAL 👏🏼
— delaney morse (@delaneyrmorse) January 8, 2019
The “Rewrite the rules” ad campaign featuring the diverse couples will be played on TV, radio, and social media.
H/T Pink News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree