- This Italian town ‘banned’ Google Maps after people kept getting lost 9 Months Ago
- Fornite emerges from black hole with Chapter 2 9 Months Ago
- Everything Google announced at today’s Pixel event 9 Months Ago
- Netflix sued over line about interrogation technique in ‘When They See Us’ 9 Months Ago
- Twitch streamer says racist trolls got her banned for ‘suggestive’ outfit 9 Months Ago
- Everything you need to know about Google’s new Pixel phones 9 Months Ago
- ‘Portrait of a Lady on Fire’ is a transcendent, lesbian period romance Today 12:32 PM
- Where to stream ‘Zombieland’ before ‘Double Tap’ comes out Today 12:04 PM
- ‘Deadpool’ screenwriter says that Disney sequel will still be R-rated Today 11:45 AM
- #DeleteFacebook trends amid report of Zuckerberg meeting with prominent conservatives Today 11:45 AM
- The Pixelbook Go is Google’s first attempt at a mid-range Chromebook Today 11:33 AM
- All the games coming to Google Stadia Today 10:49 AM
- Google just announced a line of Nest-branded smart home products Today 10:36 AM
- ‘Fake news’ is helping conspiracy theorists deny Turkish atrocities Today 10:15 AM
- YouTuber immediately loses gig with Sanders campaign over sexualized MLK video Today 9:59 AM
A new ad spot for the wedding attire giant David’s Bridal features a lesbian couple, with the ad campaign telling brides to “rewrite the rules.”
The focus of David’s Bridals new ad campaign is inclusivity, highlighting diverse couples in love. “We wanted to make sure this spot represented what we see from brides today,” Liz Crystal, chief marketing officer for David’s Bridal, explained to AdAge.
While past David’s Bridal commercials have mostly been about the beautiful gowns and the store experience, this one shifted its focus to what a wedding day is really all about: the couple. The ad starts with an interracial couple getting married in a redwood forest. They are followed by a couple at the altar, the bride holding her baby girl. After them, a lesbian couple dancing at their wedding reception. The ad concludes with a barefoot couple walking on the beach.
The narration for the commercial uses the traditional wedding rhyme, “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue,” but it concludes on a different note, saying, “And above all else… something you.” The message is clear: You can tap into tradition if you want, but more important than any tradition is a couple’s love for each other.
David’s Bridal filed for bankruptcy protection in late 2018, and this new ad highlighting LGBTQ marriage may help bring new life into its stores. According to the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Law and Public Policy, LGBTQ weddings brought in $1.6 billion in growth to the national economy in the year after SCOTUS declared same-sex marriage legal. Those numbers have only continued to grow as LGBTQ acceptance increases.
People on Twitter celebrated the lesbian couple in the new ad, cheering for visibility, and joking that lesbians give David’s Bridal the opportunity to sell two wedding dresses.
Visibility matters! A lesbian couple was featured in this @davidsbridal commercial. Honestly, lesbian weddings should be the bridal market's biggest target: two sets of everything! 🌈👭pic.twitter.com/nJAPq1l84m— Shomeo (@SassBaller) January 7, 2019
OKAY DAVIDS BRIDAL, I SEE THE LESBIAN COUPLE IN YOUR COMMERCIAL 👏🏼— delaney morse (@delaneyrmorse) January 8, 2019
The “Rewrite the rules” ad campaign featuring the diverse couples will be played on TV, radio, and social media.
H/T Pink News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.