- House promises April vote on bill to restore net neutrality rules 3 Months Ago
- Here’s how many YouTube subscribers Shane Dawson lost for his old bestiality joke 3 Months Ago
- Drag queen spreads joy to toddler, world with ‘Baby Shark’ performance 3 Months Ago
- How many ‘chuggas’ should come before choo choo? 3 Months Ago
- Cory Booker’s weirdly sensual relationship with coffee resurfaces Today 8:31 AM
- Everything you need to know about gaming chat client Discord Today 8:00 AM
- Report: Your Facebook feed is still ripe with fake news Today 7:42 AM
- The 10 best movies based on true stories on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Prager University is fighting ‘leftist indoctrination’ on college campuses Today 7:00 AM
- Can ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ recover from its disastrous drama? Today 6:00 AM
- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
A viral video shows a white Columbia University student harassing Black students and ranting about white superiority, and some say the university isn’t doing enough in response.
In the video, the man, identified by the Columbia Spectator as 21-year-old sophomore Julian von Abele, can be seen screaming at the group of students on campus, “White people are the best thing that happened to the world” and “We built modern civilization.” Von Abele works himself into a fit, yelling for a good while about how white people are the best and saved everyone.
He gets angrier and wilder, hoarsely screaming and waving his arms as he runs around the group of students, yelling, “Fuck yeah white people. Fuck yeah white men. We’re white men, we did everything. I don’t hate other people, I just love white men.”
— Aala (@aalanasir) December 9, 2018
According to witness Kwolanne Felix, who was a part of the group, her group of friends had been walking to the dining hall when von Abele joined them and acted normally at first. Felix said he suddenly grabbed a woman in the group, and when she pulled away, he got angry. Felix said von Abele cursed at the woman and started praising Trump and yelling about white people.
Felix and her friends went into the dining hall, and a short time later, von Abele followed them in. There she said he stood in the middle of the dining hall and continued ranting at them. “Everyone was uncomfortable,” she said to BuzzFeed News. “The staff is definitely mostly people of color.”
In a statement, Columbia University denounced the “racially charged incident,” saying, “we stand firmly against white supremacist language and violence.” However, there has been no word from university officials on if von Abele will see any consequences for harassing his fellow students. The person who posted the video said in a follow-up tweet that this reflects “the exact mentality that the @columbia core perpetuates,” referencing a curriculum that does not adequately reflect the important work of women and people of color, perpetuating the idea that the contributions of white men are the most important.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree