- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Saturday 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Saturday 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Saturday 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Saturday 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Saturday 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Saturday 6:30 AM
Professor gives students quiz to determine their white privilege
Surprise! Conservatives don’t like this quiz.
A quiz asking students to determine their level of white privilege is upsetting conservatives online.
San Diego State University professor Dae Elliot’s “White Privilege Checklist” consisted of 20 true and false questions denoting examples of how white people are given life advantages based on their skin color. Students accumulated points with each “true”; a higher score meant a high level of privilege. Questions included:
When I am told about our national heritage or about civilization, I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
Students also had to give other examples of privilege based on gender and sexuality. Extra credit was given if they answered the questions at the end, like “Were you surprised by your score, or did it confirm what you already knew? Do you think this exercise is different for white students than for students of color?”
Elliott told the conservative site College Fix that the exercise is meant to challenge students “to be a conscious part of understanding and gain more power and agency to effect change.”
“Only through processes that allow us to share intersubjectively and weigh all of our perspectives according to amount of shareable empirical evidence can we approximate an objective understanding of our society,” Elliott told the College Fix via email. “It may never be perfect, in fact, I am sure we will always be improving, but it is a better response if we are truly seekers of what is truth, what is reality. In a society that values fairness, our injustices that are institutionalized are often made invisible.”
The quiz was picked up by many conservative sites and blogs, with far-right Twitter denying the existence of white privilege.
This is racism. Anyone allowing themselves 2 B treated like this needs a shrink, It is abuse 4 grades. If done 2 blacks it would B illegal— Ellen Atkinson (@eatkinson48) September 19, 2017
I'm STILL waiting for my "white privilege." By the time it arrives, I'll be a skeleton.— Rocky D (@RadioFreeRockyD) September 19, 2017
In the USA there is no such thing as white privilege.Howevr,by law, for the last 40-50 years there IS Black Privilege. "Affirmative Action"— Bill G -Wireless Guy (@RE_SAQ) September 19, 2017
No such thing, it's called hard work. Recession and my husband went to school and learned a new trade. Welfare is a hand up not a lifestyle.— Diana long (@Dianalo43311735) September 19, 2017
The good news is you don’t need a lengthy quiz to prove white privilege. Here are a few others to help you determine if it applies to you.
Quiz to find out if you benefit from white privilege.— Ashley (@MoreThanAMilSO) July 2, 2017
Q 1: Are you Caucasian?
Did you answer YES?
Congratulations, you’re privileged.
White Privilege Quiz! pic.twitter.com/l25bvGZpYP— Luisa Haynes (@wokeluisa) May 29, 2017
H/T the College Fix
Danielle Ransom is a journalist who has worked as a researcher for CNN, NBC's KXAN-TV, CBS' KEYE-TV.