- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Friday 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Friday 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Friday 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Friday 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Friday 8:58 AM
Professor gives students quiz to determine their white privilege
Surprise! Conservatives don’t like this quiz.
A quiz asking students to determine their level of white privilege is upsetting conservatives online.
San Diego State University professor Dae Elliot’s “White Privilege Checklist” consisted of 20 true and false questions denoting examples of how white people are given life advantages based on their skin color. Students accumulated points with each “true”; a higher score meant a high level of privilege. Questions included:
When I am told about our national heritage or about civilization, I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
Students also had to give other examples of privilege based on gender and sexuality. Extra credit was given if they answered the questions at the end, like “Were you surprised by your score, or did it confirm what you already knew? Do you think this exercise is different for white students than for students of color?”
Elliott told the conservative site College Fix that the exercise is meant to challenge students “to be a conscious part of understanding and gain more power and agency to effect change.”
“Only through processes that allow us to share intersubjectively and weigh all of our perspectives according to amount of shareable empirical evidence can we approximate an objective understanding of our society,” Elliott told the College Fix via email. “It may never be perfect, in fact, I am sure we will always be improving, but it is a better response if we are truly seekers of what is truth, what is reality. In a society that values fairness, our injustices that are institutionalized are often made invisible.”
The quiz was picked up by many conservative sites and blogs, with far-right Twitter denying the existence of white privilege.
This is racism. Anyone allowing themselves 2 B treated like this needs a shrink, It is abuse 4 grades. If done 2 blacks it would B illegal— Ellen Atkinson (@eatkinson48) September 19, 2017
I'm STILL waiting for my "white privilege." By the time it arrives, I'll be a skeleton.— Rocky D (@RadioFreeRockyD) September 19, 2017
In the USA there is no such thing as white privilege.Howevr,by law, for the last 40-50 years there IS Black Privilege. "Affirmative Action"— Bill G -Wireless Guy (@RE_SAQ) September 19, 2017
No such thing, it's called hard work. Recession and my husband went to school and learned a new trade. Welfare is a hand up not a lifestyle.— Diana long (@Dianalo43311735) September 19, 2017
The good news is you don’t need a lengthy quiz to prove white privilege. Here are a few others to help you determine if it applies to you.
Quiz to find out if you benefit from white privilege.— Ashley (@MoreThanAMilSO) July 2, 2017
Q 1: Are you Caucasian?
Did you answer YES?
Congratulations, you’re privileged.
White Privilege Quiz! pic.twitter.com/l25bvGZpYP— Luisa Haynes (@wokeluisa) May 29, 2017
H/T the College Fix
Danielle Ransom is a journalist who has worked as a researcher for CNN, NBC's KXAN-TV, CBS' KEYE-TV.