- Multimillion-dollar ‘Farming Simulator’ franchise enters world of esports Wednesday 7:38 PM
- Sandra Bullock, Chris McKay are making Netflix comic film ‘Reborn’ Wednesday 7:22 PM
- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
Protesters picket nail salon after viral video shows employees attacking Black customer
On Monday, protesters picketed outside a nail salon in Brooklyn, New York, after a video went viral showing salon employees physically attacking a Black woman and spraying her with acetone.
On Friday, 21-year-old Christina Thomas went to New Red Apple Nail with her grandmother for mani-pedis and an eyebrow wax. According to News12, Thomas felt the eyebrow wax was botched and she refused to pay for it, though the nail salon claims she refused to pay for any of its services.
The dispute became physical; a viral video posted by bystander Mercy Maduka shows the employees holding onto Thomas by her shirt while another employee sprays what appears to be acetone nail polish remover on her. When Thomas breaks free and tries to flee for the door, another employee can be seen bashing her in the back with a mop or broom handle. After Thomas gets out, the video shows employees attacking other Black women in the shop, one of whom is being restrained and held in place by a man.
Protesters gathered outside the nail salon Monday to demand its shut-down, and to remind their community of the power they have to decide what operates in their neighborhood. According to the Root, the several dozen protesters were chanting “Black dollars matter” and “no respect, no business.”
“Anytime a store doesn’t respect us, we’re going to shut it down,” said Gavin Gibbs, one of the protesters and a resident of the neighborhood, told the New York Daily News. “We will come, we will picket it and we’ll do whatever we have to close your store down.”
Reportedly an employee, Huiyue Zheng, is facing charges of menacing, assault, harassment, and possession of a weapon. Thomas is also facing charges for menacing, assault and harassment, which protesters hope will be dropped. The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office says the investigation is ongoing, and charges will be evaluated accordingly.
H/T the Root
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree