- TikTok signs licensing agreement with Merlin 2 Years Ago
- Anime film ‘NiNoKuni’ falls apart with flimsy plotting 2 Years Ago
- Cop who called for boycott of Beyoncé’s Super Bowl performance now says he’s Black Today 11:12 AM
- Uber, Lyft dragged for surging prices during mass shooting Today 11:06 AM
- The legacies of colonialism loom in Netflix’s new horror show ‘Ares’ Today 10:41 AM
- College student arrested in China after tweeting about Xi Jinping Today 10:37 AM
- YouTuber ImJayStation accused of faking the death of his girlfriend for views Today 10:23 AM
- Twitter sends cease-and-desist letter to facial recognition firm scraping its images Today 10:01 AM
- A CNN analyst’s impeachment joke sparks fake news fury Today 9:08 AM
- Patrick Stewart invited Whoopi Goldberg to join ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season 2 Today 8:26 AM
- Dolly Parton inspires ‘LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Tinder’ meme Today 8:12 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ episode 1 recap: A glimpse into a troubled future Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel 2’ movie in the works with new screenwriter Today 7:11 AM
- Fortune Feimster embraces the past and present in celebratory ‘Sweet & Salty’ Today 7:00 AM
- Review: ‘Star Trek: Picard’ is a triumphant return for Patrick Stewart Today 5:00 AM
People Magazine has deemed country music star, Voice judge, and noted racist and homophobe Blake Shelton to be its “Sexiest Man Alive” of 2017. Yes. Blake Shelton. Bland, not-nice white guy with terrible jokes Blake Shelton.
Just look at that rugged… grimace. How… charming?
👀🔥😍 @BlakeShelton is this year's #SexiestManAlive! And most importantly, he 'can't wait' to stick it to his fellow #TheVoice judge (and former SMA) @AdamLevine. 😂 https://t.co/LtQ2q8QSkU pic.twitter.com/g7IilIXzxA— People (@people) November 15, 2017
No, Shelton’s crowning does not appear to be a joke—but the internet certainly thinks it is. This is the same guy who advocated for violence toward gay men, tweeting in 2012, “Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song… Any man that tries Touching my behind He’s gonna be a beaten, bleedin’, heaving kind of guy…”? And then in the same year, he also tweeted: “Wish the dickhead in the next room would either shut up or learn some English so I would at least know what he’s planning to bomb!!”
Racism and homophobia aside, maybe Shelton is attractive, perhaps even handsome, to some people.
But sexy? Deserving of a title shared by Dwayne Johnson, Chris Hemsworth, and Ryan Reynolds?
Definitively, objectively, not.
I mean honestly, didn’t People have a few more options?
Blake Shelton is not even the sexiest:— Anthony Oliveira (@meakoopa) November 15, 2017
1) Gwen Stefani spouse (Gavin Rossdale)
2) country singer (Steve Grand)
3) Voice guy (Adam Levine)
4) Blake (Blake Lively)
5) Racist (Dean Cain)
I know we all hate men, but trust me, there are better men out there to pick than Blake Sheldon. May I submit a few? 1. Jason Momoa 2. Daveed Diggs 3. Taye Diggs 4. Ranch dressing 5. that one starbucks barista you know who I mean don't @ me— lyz lenz (@lyzl) November 15, 2017
even a straight man can see there's no way blake shelton is the sexiest man alive. i dont think he's even the sexiest man named blake shelton.— Oliver Willis (@owillis) November 15, 2017
This just has to be some kind of prank—on Shelton and the entire population that cares about such a title—right?
This is so fucked up. Blake Shelton has been legally dead since 2012! pic.twitter.com/TS4ub32Vph— Joel Kim Booster (@ihatejoelkim) November 15, 2017
Blake Shelton is, at best, the sexiest divorced dad at this barbecue— Dana Schwartz (@DanaSchwartzzz) November 15, 2017
Trump is President. Blake Shelton is the Sexiest Man Alive. Snooki better start planning her Nobel Prize speech.— Susie Meister (@susie_meister) November 15, 2017
Did everybody die? https://t.co/UFEYcOIQId— Akilah Hughes (@AkilahObviously) November 15, 2017
Blake Shelton has been named People’s 2017 Sexiest Man of All Lives Matter— Donwill (@donwill) November 15, 2017
Can’t we, like, impeach Shelton as sexiest man? Is that a thing? Isn’t this country a democracy? Clearly, Idris Elba had this spot locked down.
Best option: Blake Shelton resigns as Sexiest Man Alive, creating new vacancy and do over. Gov appoints Idris Elba, schedules new primaries/general. New vacancy = new process.— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) November 15, 2017
Can’t believe Blake Shelton is People’s Sexiest Man Alive when Idris Elba got 3 million more votes.— Brohibition Now (@OhNoSheTwitnt) November 15, 2017
Blake Shelton named sexiest man... Is it because Idris Elba is a mythical being that he wasn't nominated? pic.twitter.com/L84T5vWLO9— Peanutheller and Jelly (@ChaoticBeauty26) November 15, 2017
Some of us would rather just be kept in the dark. We don’t know who this unattractive Shelton fellow is, and we certainly don’t want to find out.
I don't know who Blake Shelton is.— Summer Brennan (@summerbrennan) November 15, 2017
I actually don't know who Blake Shelton is. (THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR INFO)— Celeste Ng (@pronounced_ing) November 15, 2017
You know, at least Shelton’s win has allowed us to embrace our own outer beauty, comparatively?
I’m glad that Blake Shelton won sexiest man of the year, seeing as I am prettier than Blake Shelton but uglier than an actual good looking person, this is a big boost for my confidence— all your long ironic names are awful (@Kyle_Dough) November 15, 2017
I️ heard my dude Blake Shelton won People Magazine’s “Sexiest man Alive.” Way to hold It down for all the 7s out there. We appreciate you ✊🏽✊🏽— Evan Turner (@thekidet) November 13, 2017
OK, OK. Maybe People does have a point: Just take one look into Shelton’s cold, hard eyes and you’ll immediately notice that dark gleam that tells you, yes, he definitely took out all the other men in the world and is the only, and therefore sexiest, man alive.
Sorry, Idris. Know you’re the sexiest man alive in our hearts.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.