- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
A South African big game hunter was crushed to death Friday after an elephant shot by his hunting crew fell on him.
Theunis Botha, a well-known South African hunter and father of five, was on a walk with a group of hunters on a hunting reserve in Zimbabwe when they came across a pack of breeding elephants, according to News24.
When several elephant cows stormed the hunters, Botha shot at them. A fourth elephant then stormed them from the side and lifted Botha with her trunk. Another hunter fatally shot the elephant, and as the cow collapsed, she fell on Botha.
Botha frequently led hunting groups across various African big game reserves, many of which included wealthy Americans, according to News 24. Botha “perfected Leopard and Lion hunting safaris with hounds,” and pioneered “European Style Driven Monteria hunts” in South Africa, according to his hunting company’s website.
Botha’s personal YouTube channel doesn’t hide much of his work. Edited videos show Botha and his hunting crews shooting elephants, leopards, and lions, backed by dramatic music and heartbeat sound effects.
The absurd irony of Botha’s death was not lost on Twitter, with many commenting on how Botha’s death was justified considering his line of work.
I thought the "dying elephant kills game hunter" was the karma story of the day. But then a sinkhole opened next to the Mar-a-Lago Club.— Shannon Donnelly (@pbdnsociety) May 22, 2017
@FoxNews The guy had a high powered rifle and the elephant *still* won. Karmas a bitch— Rogue CPI (@RogueCPI) May 22, 2017
Others weren’t as quick to talk about karma so soon after someone’s death.
Botha’s death comes just after his friend and fellow big game hunter, Scott Van Zyl, was killed by a crocodile on the banks of the Limpopo River in Zimbabwe, BBC reports. Van Zyl’s remains were found in the carcass of a crocodile shot by authorities in mid-April.
H/T Washington Post
Lauren L'Amie is the SEO editor of the Daily Dot. Her work focuses on women and the internet, tech, and health. Previously, she has contributed to Tom's Guide and Texas Monthly. Currently, she is based in Brooklyn and becoming a keyword ninja.