- ‘The Matrix 4’ is happening with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss 6 Years Ago
- Fantasy football 2019: Your team-by-team NFC preview 6 Years Ago
- The 10 best science podcasts to teach you about our world Today 6:00 AM
- How to make sure you have access to every Instagram filter Today 6:00 AM
- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
It’s a bad day for Dumbo in Banksy’s new YouTube video
Rebels shout “Allahu Akbar!” as they shoot down … a beloved Disney character?! What does it mean?
While street artist Banksy has put down his stencils and spray cans on this day of rest, that hasn’t stopped the mysterious Brit from stirring up some controversy.
“I’m not posting any pictures today,” Banksy stated on his website. “Not after this shocking footage has emerged.”
The footage shows a group of Middle Eastern rebels shooting an RPG at something they see flying off in the distance. Upon landing a direct hit, the rebels receive a depressing Disney surprise.
The video featuring Dumbo is part of Banksy’s month-long art experiment on the streets of New York. Gothamist reports that the video “could be a reference to the neighborhood DUMBO—perhaps his latest piece is already there waiting to be discovered, or maybe the waterfall truck will be there later tonight.” Some Reddit users, on the other hand, believe there’s a deeper meaning to the 90-second long clip.
“I think it’s giving a view of war from the eyes of the child,” guitarjt commented. “The adults cheer because they are victorious. They feel victorious for ideological reasons… The child doesn’t have these ideas and only sees that the adults killed something beautiful.. So she goes over and kicks the guy as to say ‘great work you fucking doofus.’”
Screengrab via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.