- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
Rebels shout “Allahu Akbar!” as they shoot down … a beloved Disney character?! What does it mean?
While street artist Banksy has put down his stencils and spray cans on this day of rest, that hasn’t stopped the mysterious Brit from stirring up some controversy.
“I’m not posting any pictures today,” Banksy stated on his website. “Not after this shocking footage has emerged.”
The footage shows a group of Middle Eastern rebels shooting an RPG at something they see flying off in the distance. Upon landing a direct hit, the rebels receive a depressing Disney surprise.
The video featuring Dumbo is part of Banksy’s month-long art experiment on the streets of New York. Gothamist reports that the video “could be a reference to the neighborhood DUMBO—perhaps his latest piece is already there waiting to be discovered, or maybe the waterfall truck will be there later tonight.” Some Reddit users, on the other hand, believe there’s a deeper meaning to the 90-second long clip.
“I think it’s giving a view of war from the eyes of the child,” guitarjt commented. “The adults cheer because they are victorious. They feel victorious for ideological reasons… The child doesn’t have these ideas and only sees that the adults killed something beautiful.. So she goes over and kicks the guy as to say ‘great work you fucking doofus.’”
Screengrab via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.