- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Today 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Today 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Today 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Today 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Today 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul Today 10:17 AM
Steven Straiton/Flickr (CC-BY)
A gay couple was targeted and beaten shortly after Miami’s 10th annual Gay Pride Parade, police say, leading to four arrests.
Gay couple Rene Charlarca and Dmitry Logunov were holding hands together in Miami Beach around 7:30p.m. on Sunday when four men approached the couple walking out of a restroom and attacked them. The group then proceeded to push, punch, and beat Charlarca and Lougnov, according to local station WSVN.
“We probably provoked them because we were walking together, holding hands,” Logunov said, according to Sun Sentinel. “It was gay pride, South Beach was full of gay people.”
After facing cuts and bruises to both their faces and bodies, Charlarca and Lougnov said they were chased. Miami Beach Police Officer Ernesto Rodriguez claims the four suspects even “made a derogatory, anti-gay slur” in Spanish to the couple, according to local station WSVN.
Surveillance video of the incident was tweeted out by police on Tuesday to find the suspects.
DO YOU RECOGNIZE THESE 4 SUSPECTS?
These suspects are responsible for the brutal attack that follows. Occurred Sunday night after Miami Beach Gay Pride at 6 Street/Ocean Drive.
— Miami Beach Police (@MiamiBeachPD) April 10, 2018
By Tuesday afternoon, Adonis David Diaz, Juan Carlos Lopez, Luis M. Alonso Piovet, and Pablo Reinaldo Romo-Figueroa, all between the ages of 20 and 21, turned themselves in and were charged with three counts of aggravated battery, the Sun-Sentinel reports. Investigators are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.
“This is a weekend on Miami Beach where we celebrate equality,” Rodriguez said, WSVN reports. “Something like this is completely uncalled for, completely unnecessary, and we really need to hold those responsible accountable.”
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Waypoint, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone's Glixel, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.