- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free 5 Years Ago
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
This app is a much-needed lesson in not taking our damn selfies so seriously.
The search is over. We’ve found it. The best selfie app is here: French Girls.
Get it? Like that line from Titanic?
French Girls is simple yet genius. You take a selfie (we all know how to do that, right?), decide whether you like it, and upload. There are no filters or edit options available; just suck it up and post what your real face looks like, it’s fine. From there, other French Girls users will see it and if they so choose, decide to draw it.
Get it? Like one of their French girls? I do not want this reference to be lost on you, dear reader.
The feats of artistry run the gamut. Most of them look something like this:
Masterpieces, these are not. Amusing, they are.
But within the French Girls community there are some talented folks whose ability to wield the tip of their finger as a paintbrush befuddles me. Look at this thing!:
Whaaaa…!? How!? What black magic did this person use to make this!? Actually, maybe just a stylus. Still, respect.
Sefishly feasting your eyes on what other users do with your selfie isn’t the only addicting part of French Girls. Selecting other people’s selfies and recreating them as best you can is fun, challenging, and sometimes weird. I felt a little bad when I did a particularly terrible job of sketching someone’s face. Sorry, you two.
You can’t see who drew your selfie, though, so don’t worry if you took someone achingly beautiful and turned them into a hideous, pixelated monster. Of course that anonymity means if someone sketches something… um, “untoward” on your immaculate face, you can’t call them on it. There is a flagging feature on the app, though, that you can hit up if this happens, or if when searching through for a selfie to draw you come across… let’s just be honest, a dick pic or something of that variety. I can only guess what this was a reference to! Also… why?
There are a lot of selfie apps: some that make you prettier, some that rate you, some that can tell if you’re gay (nope, not really). But this one is a game, it’s creative, and there’s slightly less emphasis on being solely interested in our own damn reflections.