- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football 2 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
Google threw shade at Apple when it announced its Pixel flagship smartphone last year, including a quip in its promo launch video: “3.5mm headphone jack satisfyingly not new.” But iPhone users may have the last laugh if rumors about the upcoming “Pixel 2” are true.
Stephen Hall, managing editor of 9to5Google, said on Twitter he “got a tip” that the upcoming rumored Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2 won’t have a headphone jack. The rumor coincides with other somewhat unconvincing renders put together by case manufacturer Olixar showing a Pixel 2 case without a headphone cutout.
Just got another tip that Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 will both ditch the headphone jack. In case you needed further confirmation.— Stephen Hall (@hallstephenj) August 3, 2017
The initial reaction on Twitter has been a mix of raw anger and disbelief.
cruel story bro— Daniel Bader (@journeydan) August 3, 2017
They mocked Apple for lack of headphone jack last year, now they're following suit. Sometimes just keep your mouth shut🤷♂️— Aurangzeb Agha (@aagha) August 3, 2017
Why!? Beyond stupid. Literally my biggest gripe of my 7 Plus.— Thor Schroeder (@thorms11) August 3, 2017
Google needs to have less courage.— iMicca (@officialimicca) August 3, 2017
That rage manifested itself in some pretty killer memes.
A lot of folks said they’d pass on the Pixel 2 if the rumor is true.
I certainly hope you're wrong. If Google removes the Headphone jack from the Pixel phone, I won't be purchasing their device.— Brian Smilde (@imchillyb) August 3, 2017
definitely won't be getting one then!— William Germscheid (@Hamm1337) August 3, 2017
Shame. I was thinking of buying one until now— Justin Case (@zymbaluk) August 3, 2017
I've been waiting for the Pixel XL2, but if this turns out to be true then I'm getting a Galaxy 8S+ instead.— Michael Bishop (@reddof) August 3, 2017
But before you make a knee-jerk reaction and run to the Samsung hills, do consider that these are very early rumors. In fact, Google hasn’t even given a date for its Google Pixel 2 announcement. What we do know is Google’s second in-house flagship smartphone is poised to give Samsung and Apple a run for their money when it’s (probably) unveiled later this year.
Google was not available for comment at time of press.
Phillip Tracy is a former technology staff writer at the Daily Dot. He's an expert on smartphones, social media trends, and gadgets. He previously reported on IoT and telecom for RCR Wireless News and contributed to NewBay Media magazine. He now writes for Laptop magazine.