- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox 2 Years Ago
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid 2 Years Ago
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
- Inside the pornographic video game that took Kickstarter by storm Today 7:00 AM
Elon Musk posts images of SpaceX spacesuit designs, and they look seriously great
Can you really deny how cool these look?
For years, SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk has been trying to develop and perfect consumer-grade space travel, launching one rocket after another to hammer out all the kinks. On Sunday, however, he went a step further in unveiling some of his company’s less technical, more fashionable work, publicly revealing the design of SpaceX’s spacesuits for the very first time.
The new design is slimmer and less bulky than what one typically thinks of when hearing the words “spacesuit,” but there’s a good reason for that. The suits are reportedly intended for in-vehicle use, a means to protect people within the highly pressurized interiors of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsules. It is not, in other words, the kind of suit that allows someone to actually leave their craft and float around in the vacuum of space.
Musk commented that it was difficult to balance the aesthetics and the function of the suit, but based on the images he posted to Instagram, it seems like things are going well on that front.
The look of the suits are visibly related to the black-and-white exterior of the company’s Crew Dragon capsules, which are meant to carry people to, among other places, the International Space Station. The capsule design itself is pretty slick and impressive, and the new spacesuits only further that aesthetic.
A post shared by Elon Musk (@elonmusk) on
Assuming the suits perform as advertised―and safety-testing is no small matter when you’re talking about gear and technology intended for space travel―you have to hand it to SpaceX. From the looks of things, they’re creating an in-flight spacesuit that looks, for all intents and purposes, like something you’d see in a sci-fi movie or a video game. And what’s the harm in looking cool while taking the ultimate vacation?
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.