- Miss USA thought everyone spoke English—and the internet is not amused Thursday 8:02 PM
- Kanye’s Twitter tirade prompts apology from Drake Thursday 6:00 PM
- Listen to Pitbull cover Toto’s ‘Africa’ for the ‘Aquaman’ soundtrack—or don’t Thursday 4:55 PM
- Nancy Pelosi’s coat is the meme the resistance needed Thursday 4:39 PM
- Oprah says what was really on her mind while she ate bland chicken Thursday 4:00 PM
- Democrats predicted to go in on net neutrality when they take House Thursday 3:33 PM
- Holland Tunnel decorations are a real nightmare before Christmas Thursday 2:12 PM
- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech Thursday 1:13 PM
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Thursday 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Thursday 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Thursday 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Thursday 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Thursday 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Thursday 10:11 AM
Traveling is now less tiresome.
Going on a trip this weekend? Here’s a cool thing every vacationer should definitely have on their wish list: a travel bag that (almost literally) has a mind of its own.
The “Cowarobot R1” is a piece of luggage that uses a robot motion control algorithm to follow its owner wherever it goes. Equipped with advanced sensors that can calculate the best route for the bag to traverse and with the ability to move at a speed of 4.5 miles per hour, the Cowarobot R1 can actually out-walk the average person at a crowded airport.
Apart from being able to unburden your shoulders and hands from heavy baggage, the Cowarobot R1 has a lengthy list of other useful bells and whistles: You can charge your devices through the bag’s removable power source and then put them away in a hidden pocket big enough to store a laptop, among other things.
You can safeguard your belongings using the bag’s GPS and proximity alarm, as well as an electronic lock that can be controlled via app. It even has a “find me” function that ensures your bag is always located where you can see it.
The travel case comes in four colors. The standard 20-inch carry-on size makes it the perfect bag to bring on the plane. It comes with a custom bracelet for its user that the bag auto-detects, ensuring that it moves within the bag owner’s immediate vicinity. It also has wheels that automatically retract when you touch the handle, as well as the ability to avoid running into dangerous obstacles while in motion. You can rest assured that your smartbag won’t topple over stairs or run over fellow travelers.
Of course, with travel convenience comes a pretty hefty price tag. The Cowarobot R1’s retail price is slated at $699. For the first 200 lucky customers who decide to pre-order a bag and pay $50 upfront, the smartbag is theirs for $399 instead. The pre-order discount will become available once the company launches its Indiegogo campaign for the bag on July 26th, and orders will be shipped out in October.
Jam Kotenko is a technology reporter and graphic designer who specializes in coverage of Instagram, Facebook, and other social media apps. Her work has been published by Digital Trends, Bustle, and Gotta Be Mobile.