- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
Apple’s new diverse emoji are being invaded by aliens
Apple’s newest iOS update brings unexpected complications.
When a device that hasn’t yet received ethnic emoji support receives one of the new icons, it does its best to translate it, but the results are mixed to say the least. In most cases, the default version of the emoji in question (usually the whitest one) is presented alongside either an alien icon:
Or the color swatch modifier that was supposed to be applied to the emoji itself:
In either case, the result is obviously less than ideal, and perhaps even a tad offensive if you’re sensitive to the loaded definition of the word “alien.” Or if you don’t like the idea of being reduced to a color swatch.
If you’re using an iOS 8.3 device, it’s worth keeping in mind that using one of these emoji will not translate nicely to various other platforms. The other side of your conversations might look very different to the recipient.
Photo via Jacob Gube / Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Max Fleishman
Mike Wehner is a former tech editor for the Daily Dot who now writes for BGR. His work has appeared everywhere from Yahoo to CNN, and there’s a good chance his Apple Watch is dead right now.