- Paul Rudd’s appearance on ‘Hot Ones’ becomes an instantly iconic meme 5 Years Ago
- Network of fake news sites in Michigan appears to be right-wing propaganda effort Today 6:30 AM
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
Beats is now officially a part of Apple
Apple is now the official maker of overpriced headphones.
Beats is officially a part of Apple.
Apple has closed the deal with Beats Electronics, and the headphone maker has officially joined the world’s largest technology company.
In an internal memo obtained by The Daily Dot, Apple executives Eddy Cue and Phil Schiller notified employees today that Beats has officially become a part of Apple. Apple is will cut 200 jobs from Beats as it brings the two companies together, according to Bloomberg. Beats has become a subsidiary of Apple and will retain its branding.
Today Beats officially joins the Apple family!
On behalf of all Apple employees around the world, we would like to extend them our warmest welcome.
Music is in our DNA. In Beats, Apple has found a team of creative and talented people who are as passionate about music as we are.
Jimmy lovine, Dr Dre and the team that has built Beats have created music products that customers love. And what we will do together is going to be even greater than what we could have done on our own.
This is going to be a lot of fun!
Eddy and Phil
Beats also put a statement up on beatsbydre.com:
There’s a new instrument in the Apple family. Musicians rely on their instruments to give structure and form to their imagination. At the dawn of digital recording, the Macintosh computer was the instrument of choice. At the beginning of portable digital music, the iPod placed the library of the world’s music in your pocket.
The iPhone became not only an instrument for music but also the center of your connected life. The iPad extended this capability with a user interface and apps that allowed you to compose a symphony on the subway. Starting today, we at Beats are fortunate to add our instrument to this legacy by joining Apple. The products we build together will allow us to reimagine sound once again and to continue this great tradition of bringing imagination to life.
Online sales of Beats products on beatsbyre.com will be rerouted through Apple’s online store going forward.
Photo via Janitors/Flickr (CC BY 2.0) | Remix by Fernando Alfonso III
Micah Singleton is a former technology and culture reporter of the Daily Dot and a former staff writer at Gizmodo. His work has also appeared in Time, Yahoo, the Verge, Mashable, ReadWrite, and NBC. Singleton was named a "rising star" by the Huffington Post in 2013.