Fandoms get their own categories at the People's Choice Awards
There's something new in the nominations for the 2013 People's Choice Awards—and we don't just mean the presence of Dame Maggie Smith.
In keeping with the incredible mainstreaming and acknowledgment of fandom within wider media and pop culture in 2012, this year's People's Choice includes two separate categories for best fandoms: "Favorite TV Fan Following" and "Favorite Movie Fan Following."
Though it's hard to judge how influential a single fandom can be, we're pretty sure getting your fandom on the ballot in a popularity contest voted on by millions of people annually is a good indicator. Nine million people tuned in to last year's People's Choice Awards, and over 230 million votes were cast. Reportedly more than 93 million votes were cast in choosing this year's nominees alone, with many fans voting more than once for their favorite franchises, actors, and musicians.
So who were the lucky fans whose fandoms could win at this year's awards? Take a look:
The nominees for "Favorite Movie Fan Following" are:
- Potterheads, the affectionate nickname for fans of Harry Potter
- Ringers, the name given to fans of The Lord of the Rings
- Rum Runners, the name for fans of Pirates of the Caribbean
- Tributes, for fans of The Hunger Games
- Twihards, for perennial People's Choice favorite Twilight
And the nominees for "Favorite TV Fan Following" are:
- Gleeks, a.k.a. fans of popular high school musical drama Glee
- Little Liars, fans of another high school show, Pretty Little Liars
- Oncers, fans of modern fairy tale remix Once Upon a Time
- SPNFamily, fans of long-running Supernatural
- TVDFamily, fans of new favorite The Vampire Diaries
Now for the real question, which we may learn when People's Choice airs on Wednesday night: Who actually gets the trophy when an entire fandom wins the award?
Photo via TV Over Mind