- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
Zoella, Sprinkle of Glitter, and Tanya Burr are doing this seasonal feature right.
With the end of 2015 nearly upon us, it seemed most apt to not only honor one, but three #WCW who this month helmed the video trend known as Vlogmas: powerhouses Zoella, Sprinkle of Glitter, and Tanya Burr.
The holidays are the time of year when creators overwhelm your YouTube subscriptions with even more insight into their daily lives. Vlogmas is a trend in which creators curate a video advent calendar by vlogging every day in the month of December. This year, it has been these three U.K.-based beauty gurus that have raised the bar for this longstanding trend.
For Zoella (aka Zoe Suggs), the most popular beauty creator in the U.K., Vlogmas has been focused on providing festive holiday tutorials, lookbooks, gift ideas, wrapping tips, and highly asked-about collaborations to her 9.6 million subscribers. Each video is beautifully shot and wrapped up for her fans as a video thank-you for giving her a year of NY Times bestselling books and a 2015 Teen Choice Award. For makeup artist Tanya Burr and founder of the Sprinkle of Glitter empire Louise Pentland, Vlogmas has been a way to connect more deeply with their fans on a more frequent basis.
Together, Burr, Suggs, and Pentlands’ success on YouTube has transferred far off the platform, with books, makeup lines, fashion magazine covers, statues in Madame Tussauds, and more. And brands are taking notice.
In the last 16 days, each of these beauty creators has created winter hauls that have in turn pointed their millions of subscribers to shops and beauty lines for the holidays. This year, Love Magazine and Deadpool both took a cue from Vlogmas in releasing their own video advent calendars on YouTube.
So while the rest of us jot down resolutions and reminiscence into a glass of spiked cider about the past 12 months, Vlogmas will continue to to thrive as a time capsule of the best moments of the year. And to the three women who continue to inspire through YouTube, happy holidays to all and to all an unplugged, social media-less night.
Carly Lanning is a journalist who covers social media. Her work has been published by Psychology Today, NBC, Thrillist, and Ms. Magazine.