- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature 4 Years Ago
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you 4 Years Ago
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
- Ready for Dark Mode? Here’s how to get it, and everything else in iOS 13 Today 11:41 AM
- Students across the world are walking out to protest inaction on climate change Today 11:08 AM
- YouTubers are exploiting Area 51 mania for content Today 10:29 AM
- Veterans confront Dan Crenshaw over his support for Trump Today 10:29 AM
- Google Maps may soon come with an Incognito Mode Today 10:13 AM
- Right-wing Beto O’Rourke ‘pissy pants’ meme actually features indie rock star Today 10:11 AM
#WCW honors the 3 queens of Vlogmas
Zoella, Sprinkle of Glitter, and Tanya Burr are doing this seasonal feature right.
With the end of 2015 nearly upon us, it seemed most apt to not only honor one, but three #WCW who this month helmed the video trend known as Vlogmas: powerhouses Zoella, Sprinkle of Glitter, and Tanya Burr.
The holidays are the time of year when creators overwhelm your YouTube subscriptions with even more insight into their daily lives. Vlogmas is a trend in which creators curate a video advent calendar by vlogging every day in the month of December. This year, it has been these three U.K.-based beauty gurus that have raised the bar for this longstanding trend.
For Zoella (aka Zoe Suggs), the most popular beauty creator in the U.K., Vlogmas has been focused on providing festive holiday tutorials, lookbooks, gift ideas, wrapping tips, and highly asked-about collaborations to her 9.6 million subscribers. Each video is beautifully shot and wrapped up for her fans as a video thank-you for giving her a year of NY Times bestselling books and a 2015 Teen Choice Award. For makeup artist Tanya Burr and founder of the Sprinkle of Glitter empire Louise Pentland, Vlogmas has been a way to connect more deeply with their fans on a more frequent basis.
Together, Burr, Suggs, and Pentlands’ success on YouTube has transferred far off the platform, with books, makeup lines, fashion magazine covers, statues in Madame Tussauds, and more. And brands are taking notice.
In the last 16 days, each of these beauty creators has created winter hauls that have in turn pointed their millions of subscribers to shops and beauty lines for the holidays. This year, Love Magazine and Deadpool both took a cue from Vlogmas in releasing their own video advent calendars on YouTube.
So while the rest of us jot down resolutions and reminiscence into a glass of spiked cider about the past 12 months, Vlogmas will continue to to thrive as a time capsule of the best moments of the year. And to the three women who continue to inspire through YouTube, happy holidays to all and to all an unplugged, social media-less night.
Carly Lanning is a journalist who covers social media. Her work has been published by Psychology Today, NBC, Thrillist, and Ms. Magazine.