- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
- Trump is concerned America’s toilets too weak Friday 3:53 PM
- Twitter users claim Billie Eilish is ‘over’ because she didn’t like Lady Gaga’s meat dress Friday 2:53 PM
- Nikki Haley says the Confederate flag was fine until Dylann Roof ‘hijacked’ it Friday 2:49 PM
- How emotional labor discourse spawned multiple memes Friday 2:22 PM
- Video of YouTuber Onision threatening ex-girlfriend resurfaces Friday 2:03 PM
- Marianne Williamson embraces anti-vax stance on Facebook Friday 1:58 PM
- Peloton Husband is worried memes will have ‘repercussions’ for his career Friday 1:55 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ stumbles as it returns to a familiar planet Friday 1:47 PM
- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays Friday 1:04 PM
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights Friday 1:02 PM
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ Friday 12:40 PM
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Friday 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Friday 10:44 AM
The Wonders reunited last night to perform ‘That Thing You Do!’
Three of the original Wonders played Roxy on Tuesday evening, semi-reformed as the Oneders,
At the Roxy Theatre in Los Angeles on Tuesday evening, they played the momentous and still-awesome title track, semi-reformed as the Wonders: Actors Johnathon Schaech (who played Jimmy Mattingly, the lead singer and boyfriend of Liv Tyler’s character at the start of the film); Ethan Embry (the unnamed bassist); and Tom Everett Scott (who was great as drummer Shades, and got Tyler at the end) all rocked out.
We reunited The Wonders aka The Oneders from the movie That Thing You Do. Played the hit song from the movie. It was magical. Thank you @thetomeverettscott @johnschaech @ethanembry. #stevezahn and @tomhanks you were missed! One of the best @thegdcomedyjam we have ever done.
A post shared by Josh Adam Meyers (@joshadammeyers) on
Unfortunately, Hanks and Steve Zahn (who played side guitarist Lenny Haiz) weren’t present for the rousing reunion. Although, in jest, one of the other unnamed band members wore a Zahn cutout.
A post shared by Ryan Vaughn (@ryandrummerboy) on
Scott had actually teased the event, which took place during the Goddamn Comedy Jam, featuring Bill Burr.
There will never be anything better than The Wonders and if you don't know why, then go rent That Thing You Do! ASAP pic.twitter.com/ExacNzwKSr— Laura Fox (@mslaurafoxy) April 26, 2017
Write it off as nostalgia all you like. This flat-out rocked.
Kahron Spearman is a music and film critic whose work can also regularly be regularly found in the Austin Chronicle.