- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
People wish Pat Summit well
Baskeball coach Pat Summit announced she has Alzheimer’s Disease. She gets support from fans on Twitter.
Hall of Fame women’s basketball coach Pat Summit has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia and Twitter wants her to know they are praying for her.
During her 37 year career as coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols, Summit has collected 1,071 career victories and eight national championships, according to ESPN.
She has won more NCAA basketball games than any men’s or women’s coach in history, according to the Associated Press.
“Earlier this year, the doctors at the Mayo Clinic diagnosed me with early-onset dementia, Alzheimer’s type at the age of 59,” Summit said in a video posted on YouTube. “I plan to continue to be your coach. For that reason I will be relying on my outstanding coaching staff like never before.”
Alzheimer’s is a form of dementia that can cause memory, thinking, and behavior problems, according to the Alzheimer’s Association. The disease worsens over time and there is no cure.
More than 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer’s and of those, 5.2 million are 65 and over, according to statistics from the Alzheimer’s Association.
Following her announcement, Summit has been a top trending topic on Twitter where she has been mentioned more than 4,000 times in the last 24 hours, according to statistics from Topsy, a social media search engine.
Here are some tweets from people wishing Summit best wishes on her journey.
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.