- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 5 Years Ago
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors 5 Years Ago
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Today 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Today 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Today 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Today 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Today 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
YouTube star’s debut album premieres at No. 5 on Billboard charts
Is there anything Troye Sivan can’t do?
With 30,000 albums sold, Troye Sivan‘s debut TRXYE made a top 5 premiere on the Billboard 200 chart this week, making him the second-highest debut of the week and breaking new ground for YouTube stars turned musicians.
The 19-year-old Australian had a much shorter week of sales than other albums, as the album came out on on a Friday to facillitate a global release. Even still, he obtained his top 10 debut, falling just ahead of Five Seconds of Summer and behind Gaslight Anthem’s newest album, the highest debut on the chart with only 3,000 more units sold than Sivan. Other higher ranking albums include two soundtracks (Guardians of the Galaxy and Frozen) and the stalwart Now That’s What I Call Music series’ latest edition, No. 51.
On the digital albums chart, Sivan debuted at No. 2, behind only the Guardians soundtrack.
Sivan was obviously overjoyed and took to Twitter to announce the news.
TRXYE DEBUTED AT #5 ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTS
— Troye Sivan (@troyesivan) August 20, 2014
Hopefully the momentum holds for the YouTube star in the coming weeks.
Screenshot via Troye Sivan VEVO/YouTube
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.