- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons 5 Years Ago
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck 5 Years Ago
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Today 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Today 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Today 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Today 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Today 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Today 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
YouTube star’s debut album premieres at No. 5 on Billboard charts
Is there anything Troye Sivan can’t do?
With 30,000 albums sold, Troye Sivan‘s debut TRXYE made a top 5 premiere on the Billboard 200 chart this week, making him the second-highest debut of the week and breaking new ground for YouTube stars turned musicians.
The 19-year-old Australian had a much shorter week of sales than other albums, as the album came out on on a Friday to facillitate a global release. Even still, he obtained his top 10 debut, falling just ahead of Five Seconds of Summer and behind Gaslight Anthem’s newest album, the highest debut on the chart with only 3,000 more units sold than Sivan. Other higher ranking albums include two soundtracks (Guardians of the Galaxy and Frozen) and the stalwart Now That’s What I Call Music series’ latest edition, No. 51.
On the digital albums chart, Sivan debuted at No. 2, behind only the Guardians soundtrack.
Sivan was obviously overjoyed and took to Twitter to announce the news.
TRXYE DEBUTED AT #5 ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTS
— Troye Sivan (@troyesivan) August 20, 2014
Hopefully the momentum holds for the YouTube star in the coming weeks.
Screenshot via Troye Sivan VEVO/YouTube
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.