- This Twitter account is parodying Amazon customer service Thursday 8:52 PM
- How to live stream Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Artur Beterbiev Thursday 7:00 PM
- Shaggy says an online scammer is impersonating him Thursday 6:53 PM
- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb Thursday 6:16 PM
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation Thursday 5:29 PM
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Thursday 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Thursday 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Thursday 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Thursday 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Thursday 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Thursday 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Thursday 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture (updated) Thursday 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Thursday 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Thursday 12:01 PM
Controversial jokes plague incoming ‘Daily Show’ host Trevor Noah
Will Comedy Central reconsider its choice?
The Internet might want to put its celebration of Trevor Noah on hold.
Here is one of the tweets at the center of the firestorm.
“Oh yeah the weekend. People are gonna get drunk & think that I’m sexy!” – fat chicks everywhere.
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) October 14, 2011
Here is another.
Noah’s weight-related humor also targeted Adele.
So now that Adele is singing, does that mean it’s over?
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) January 13, 2012
The comedian also weighed in on the topic of naked celebrity images by pretending to disavow the practice before encouraging it.
This is disgusting why are people leaking nudes again? And where exactly is the link?
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) March 16, 2015
And then there is this tweet, which some are calling anti-Semitic.
The Independent has rounded up more of Noah’s tweets belittling women’s sports, Israel, and other topics.
Noah is far from the first comedian to earn criticism for humor that his supporters will simply shrug off as edgy. The question is whether Comedy Central sees the growing backlash over his tweets as a problem that merits a response. At press time, the Viacom-owned network had yet to issue a statement.
Photo via Trevor Noah/Facebook
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.