- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Controversial jokes plague incoming ‘Daily Show’ host Trevor Noah
Will Comedy Central reconsider its choice?
The Internet might want to put its celebration of Trevor Noah on hold.
Here is one of the tweets at the center of the firestorm.
“Oh yeah the weekend. People are gonna get drunk & think that I’m sexy!” – fat chicks everywhere.
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) October 14, 2011
Here is another.
Noah’s weight-related humor also targeted Adele.
So now that Adele is singing, does that mean it’s over?
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) January 13, 2012
The comedian also weighed in on the topic of naked celebrity images by pretending to disavow the practice before encouraging it.
This is disgusting why are people leaking nudes again? And where exactly is the link?
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) March 16, 2015
And then there is this tweet, which some are calling anti-Semitic.
The Independent has rounded up more of Noah’s tweets belittling women’s sports, Israel, and other topics.
Noah is far from the first comedian to earn criticism for humor that his supporters will simply shrug off as edgy. The question is whether Comedy Central sees the growing backlash over his tweets as a problem that merits a response. At press time, the Viacom-owned network had yet to issue a statement.
Photo via Trevor Noah/Facebook
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.