- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Controversial jokes plague incoming ‘Daily Show’ host Trevor Noah
Will Comedy Central reconsider its choice?
The Internet might want to put its celebration of Trevor Noah on hold.
Here is one of the tweets at the center of the firestorm.
“Oh yeah the weekend. People are gonna get drunk & think that I’m sexy!” – fat chicks everywhere.
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) October 14, 2011
Here is another.
Noah’s weight-related humor also targeted Adele.
So now that Adele is singing, does that mean it’s over?
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) January 13, 2012
The comedian also weighed in on the topic of naked celebrity images by pretending to disavow the practice before encouraging it.
This is disgusting why are people leaking nudes again? And where exactly is the link?
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) March 16, 2015
And then there is this tweet, which some are calling anti-Semitic.
The Independent has rounded up more of Noah’s tweets belittling women’s sports, Israel, and other topics.
Noah is far from the first comedian to earn criticism for humor that his supporters will simply shrug off as edgy. The question is whether Comedy Central sees the growing backlash over his tweets as a problem that merits a response. At press time, the Viacom-owned network had yet to issue a statement.
Photo via Trevor Noah/Facebook
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.