- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
Even if you’re the biggest Matrix fan in the world, you may not know about some of these details.
The Wachowskis are releasing a new movie next week, and that means it’s time to get nostalgic about their most iconic work, The Matrix.
The Matrix came out in 1999, and its groundbreaking special effects are still impressive more than 15 years later. At this point we all know about the Wachowkis’ “bullet time” technique, but how about some of the other things that went on behind the scenes?
This new video from Cinefix shows us seven cool facts about The Matrix, including a look at the mind-boggling array of A-list actors who turned down the role of Neo before Keanu Reeves was finally cast. Can you believe we almost saw Tom Cruise in that role? Or a just-finished-with-Titanic Leonardo DiCaprio? Or Ewan McGregor?
Honestly, the most shocking revelation may be that Keanu Reeves had spine surgery before filming. You never could have guessed just by watching the movie, even in the martial arts scenes.
Photo via Marcin Wichary/Wikimedia (CC BY 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor