- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Today 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
Texas movie theater to show ‘Team America’ in lieu of ‘The Interview’
Terrorists, your game is through.
At least one theater was happy to ignore terrorist threats and screen The Interview in righteous protest—Sony hackers be damned. But even the Texas-based Alamo Drafthouse was unable to move forward with its plans to show the controversial film.
It did the next best thing, however. In lieu of The Interview, the Richardson, Texas-based Drafthouse will host a giant Team America: World Police party Dec. 27, complete with singalongs and, presumably, miniature American flags.
In case you missed it, the beloved, oft-quoted film is basically about North Korea attacking the U.S. and it’s told with puppets. The late Kim Jong-il is a bastardized villain portrayed with intentionally racist fervor—it’s supposed to be OK because he’s an evil dude IRL. But it is insatiably funny.
If you can’t make the trip to Texas, enjoy these memorable Team America clips.
Update 3:10pm CT, Dec. 18: Paramount Pictures will not make Team America available to the Alamo Drafthouse for screening—thereby cancelling the planned event.
Due to to circumstances beyond our control, the TEAM AMERICA 12/27 screening has been cancelled. We apologize & will provide refunds today.
— Alamo Drafthouse DFW (@AlamoDFW) December 18, 2014
Screengrab via MOVIECLIPS/YouTube
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.