- Muslim girls are making fun of Islamophobia in viral TikTok videos Thursday 8:34 PM
- Kendall Jenner’s ‘cruel’ dog collar sparks online debate Thursday 8:04 PM
- All ‘The Witcher’ content you can gobble up once you finish the Netflix series Thursday 7:47 PM
- Tinder adding a ‘panic button’ for when dates go awry Thursday 6:14 PM
- Webcam footage of ‘Bigfoot’ shared by state government agency Thursday 5:47 PM
- Video shows that James Corden doesn’t drive Carpool Karaoke car—and fans feel betrayed Thursday 5:06 PM
- Video shows Julianne Hough screaming, writhing during physical therapy demo Thursday 4:47 PM
- Halsey accidentally called for another 9/11 Thursday 4:01 PM
- Lizzo’s Rolling Stone shoot criticized for cultural appropriation Thursday 3:19 PM
- Bloomberg’s broadband platform is 5 years behind his rivals Thursday 3:03 PM
- Hulu’s ‘Endlings’ is a smart sci-fi show for kids—and adults Thursday 1:42 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Pandemic’ drops right when we need to be worried most Thursday 1:20 PM
- TikTok signs licensing agreement with Merlin Thursday 12:19 PM
- Anime film ‘NiNoKuni’ falls apart with flimsy plotting Thursday 11:57 AM
- Cop who called for boycott of Beyoncé’s Super Bowl performance now says he’s Black Thursday 11:12 AM
Sweet Brown heats up on YouTube
Sweet Brown has bronchitis. “Ain’t nobody got time for that.”
The apartment complex fire that left one person in hospital for smoke inhalation in Oklahoma City is no laughing matter.
But as with Antoine Dodson, the horrific news event might have unintentionally spawned the Web’s newest star.
Following last Saturday’s blaze, a local TV crew showed up on site to speak with residents. Among them was a woman identifying herself as Sweet Brown, who gave a brief memorable interview.
Brown’s colorful, detailed description of what happened has been viewed more than 84,000 times, since being uploaded to YouTube.
Predictably, many of the comments on the video focus on Brown rather than the fire, with particular attention being paid to her closing remark: “I got bronchitis. Ain’t nobody got time for that.”
“A new My Little Pony character – Sweetie Brown. AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!” wrote 99PerCentNatural.
“Thumbs up? AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!” said kingdill8.
KFOR, the local TV channel that interviewed Brown, asked her about her newfound fame on Tuesday. She laughed about the video, but said, “I don’t like looking at it because I don’t like looking at myself like that because I look like a joke and I was really serious!”
When told her video had been watched more than 20,000 times by Tuesday lunchtime, she said, “Are you serious? Wow, that’s amazing. You think I can be a superstar?”
Photo via YouTube
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.