- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend 5 Years Ago
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Wednesday 3:09 PM
Streamys ICON Award honors Tyler Oakley, Pitbull, Shay Carl, and Michelle Phan
Stars honored for activism, inspiration, entrepreneurship, and convergence.
A few years ago it would be hard to imagine a single award that honors both Tyler Oakley and Pitbull at the same time, but the two entertainers are among a handful of digital creators being honored with a Streamys ICON Award this Sunday.
The ICON award is a new addition to the Streamys, which celebrate their fourth award show in 2014. The award honors digital creators who’ve demonstrated leadership in online video, and in addition to Oakley and PItbull, they will also honor beauty vlogger Michelle Phan and Maker Studios co-founder Shay Carl. Each recipiant will be honored in a different area of achievement; Oakley for activism, Phan for inspiration, Carl for entreprenuership, and Pitbull for convergence.
“The Streamys have always honored emerging talent in the online video community, but this year, these innovators have engaged audiences with their creativity and impacted the zeitgeist like never before,” Michael Mahan, President of dick clark productions, which puts on the awards, said in a press release. “It’s my honor to recognize Pitbull, Tyler Oakley, Michelle Phan, and Shay Carlwith the inaugural Streamys ICON Awards Presented by Samsung for their accomplishments and social influence in online video and entertainment.”
The Streamys will stream live from Los Angeles on Sunday, Sept. 7, with hosts Hannah Hart and Grace Helbig. Nominations this year have stretched beyond YouTube and other digital outlets to include Vine, as well as digital achievement for television programs.
Photo via Streamys.org.
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.