- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Today 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Today 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Today 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Today 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Today 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Today 10:11 AM
- Uncanny ‘Back to the Future’ deepfake transports Tom Holland and Robert Downey, Jr. to 1985 Today 10:04 AM
- Everyone is doing the Renegade. Including the teen who started it Today 9:23 AM
- Reality Winner is asking for clemency—will she get it? Today 7:59 AM
- There’s a Baby Yoda mod for ‘Star Wars: Battlefront II’ Today 7:38 AM
- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
Streamys ICON Award honors Tyler Oakley, Pitbull, Shay Carl, and Michelle Phan
Stars honored for activism, inspiration, entrepreneurship, and convergence.
A few years ago it would be hard to imagine a single award that honors both Tyler Oakley and Pitbull at the same time, but the two entertainers are among a handful of digital creators being honored with a Streamys ICON Award this Sunday.
The ICON award is a new addition to the Streamys, which celebrate their fourth award show in 2014. The award honors digital creators who’ve demonstrated leadership in online video, and in addition to Oakley and PItbull, they will also honor beauty vlogger Michelle Phan and Maker Studios co-founder Shay Carl. Each recipiant will be honored in a different area of achievement; Oakley for activism, Phan for inspiration, Carl for entreprenuership, and Pitbull for convergence.
“The Streamys have always honored emerging talent in the online video community, but this year, these innovators have engaged audiences with their creativity and impacted the zeitgeist like never before,” Michael Mahan, President of dick clark productions, which puts on the awards, said in a press release. “It’s my honor to recognize Pitbull, Tyler Oakley, Michelle Phan, and Shay Carlwith the inaugural Streamys ICON Awards Presented by Samsung for their accomplishments and social influence in online video and entertainment.”
The Streamys will stream live from Los Angeles on Sunday, Sept. 7, with hosts Hannah Hart and Grace Helbig. Nominations this year have stretched beyond YouTube and other digital outlets to include Vine, as well as digital achievement for television programs.
Photo via Streamys.org.
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.