- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
Streamys ICON Award honors Tyler Oakley, Pitbull, Shay Carl, and Michelle Phan
Stars honored for activism, inspiration, entrepreneurship, and convergence.
A few years ago it would be hard to imagine a single award that honors both Tyler Oakley and Pitbull at the same time, but the two entertainers are among a handful of digital creators being honored with a Streamys ICON Award this Sunday.
The ICON award is a new addition to the Streamys, which celebrate their fourth award show in 2014. The award honors digital creators who’ve demonstrated leadership in online video, and in addition to Oakley and PItbull, they will also honor beauty vlogger Michelle Phan and Maker Studios co-founder Shay Carl. Each recipiant will be honored in a different area of achievement; Oakley for activism, Phan for inspiration, Carl for entreprenuership, and Pitbull for convergence.
“The Streamys have always honored emerging talent in the online video community, but this year, these innovators have engaged audiences with their creativity and impacted the zeitgeist like never before,” Michael Mahan, President of dick clark productions, which puts on the awards, said in a press release. “It’s my honor to recognize Pitbull, Tyler Oakley, Michelle Phan, and Shay Carlwith the inaugural Streamys ICON Awards Presented by Samsung for their accomplishments and social influence in online video and entertainment.”
The Streamys will stream live from Los Angeles on Sunday, Sept. 7, with hosts Hannah Hart and Grace Helbig. Nominations this year have stretched beyond YouTube and other digital outlets to include Vine, as well as digital achievement for television programs.
Photo via Streamys.org.
A former YouTube reporter for the Daily Dot, Rae Votta has more than a decade of experience in the digital and entertainment industries. Her work has appeared on AOL, Huffington Post, Out Magazine, Logo, VH1, Current TV, Billboard, and NYMag. She joined Netflix in 2016.