- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
What was your song of the year? Spotify’s Wrapped feature knows
The year-end content has begun!
Spotify announced Tuesday that its annual Wrapped playlist feature has gone live, which means that as long as you have an account, you now have access to data the streaming service has been tracking for all of 2017. Think you know how many hours you spent listening to “Wild Thoughts” on your commute, or how many new artists you checked out? Think again.
The feature also quizzes you on low-key surprising stats about your listening habits. My song of the year ended up being “Madiba Riddim,” a random mid-album track off Drake’s most recent LP that I would describe as “average” but which I also apparently never skip when it shuffles onto my day-to-day playlist. Would I ever describe it as my favorite song? No. And yet the data speaks for itself. Apparently, without realizing it, I stan for Drake.
— Jenson (@fckinbee) December 5, 2017
In an era when people are meticulously curating their feeds to present more fun, cooler versions of their lives, Wrapped is the ultimate dox—outing you for the complex organism you are. It is fun to contain multitudes.
Spotify also released its Year in Music lists earlier today. Ed Sheeran was the platform’s most streamed artist globally in 2017 with 47 million monthly listeners, while his latest album was played an unreal 3.1 billion times. Both hip-hop and Latin music saw bigger numbers than ever before, with “Despacito—Remix” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee being named Spotify’s “Song of the Summer.”
To check out your playlist, head to 2017wrapped.com.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.