- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? 5 Years Ago
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge 5 Years Ago
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
Amazon Studios moves into feature films with Spike Lee’s ‘Chi-Raq’
Lee is already facing criticism for comparing Chicago to Iraq.
Amazon Studios will move beyond original TV shows into new terrain: a feature film.
The company announced Wednesday that Spike Lee’s Chi-Raq will be the first Amazon Original Movie. The film, starring Nick Cannon, Wesley Snipes, Jennifer Hudson, and Angela Bassett, will address issues of race and gun violence in inner-city Chicago, issues often overlooked in mainstream Hollywood filmmaking.
Spike Lee (Do the Right Thing, 25th Hour) and writer/director Kevin Willmott (C.S.A: Confederate States of America) are writing Chi-Raq and Lee is directing.
Ted Hope, Head of Motion Picture Production at Amazon Studios, expressed unbridled enthusiasm for Lee. “Spike Lee is one of the most distinct and visionary filmmakers of our time,” he said. “It would be impossible to find a better filmmaker with whom to launch our studio.”
Chi-Raq will be released in theaters in December to qualify for awards season, and Amazon Prime members will get a first look at the film once it’s out.
Spike Lee recently faced controversy for the film, which likens the violence in Chicago to war zones in Iraq. Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel criticized the film’s potential denigration of residents of Englewood.
“I told [Lee] … that there are very good people that live in Englewood who are raising their family,” Emanuel said.
Lee had one thing to say to critics: “Wait until the movie comes out. You don’t like it, you don’t like [it]. But wait, see it first.”
Screengrab via CelebTV/YouTube
Feliks Garcia was a reporter and essayist whose work for the Daily Dot focused on social justice issues, internet culture, and the Rock. He was a staff writer for the Independent when he passed away in February 2017 after suffering a heart attack. He was 33.