- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
Snoop Dogg calls for boycott of the ‘Roots’ remake in scathing Instagram video
Snoop Dogg says he’s ‘sick of this sh*t.’
The remake of the 1977 landmark miniseries, Roots, will premiere on the History Channel and A&E on Monday night, and though there was backlash when the project was first announced, the online reviews of the reboot have been flattering.
Based on 22 reviews, Metacritic has given the miniseries a grade of 81, and the Baltimore Sun wrote the eight-hour series “is one of the most powerful and profound narratives ever written or told about the American experience, including anything written by any of the celebrated giants of our national literature.”
But if you were ask to Snoop Dogg his thoughts about the 2016 version of Roots or about movies depicting slaves in general, he wouldn’t be so positive. In fact, in a video uploaded to Instagram on Monday, the rapper calls for a boycott of Roots, saying he’s “sick of this shit” and wonders why nobody is making movies “about the success black folks [are] having.”
That opposition is in stark contrast to the intent of rapper T.I., who plays runaway slave Cyrus and who explained earlier this month why the series is an important one.
“I think this story is the origin of African-Americans,” he said, via Uproxx. “I think the first one, although it is the most watched television series of all time, I don’t think this generation had an opportunity to experience it and take it in properly … Just due to the amount of technology now. You watch any movie from that era, if you’re of this generation, it’s just difficult to get into it because it looks so different.”
And count LeVar Burton, who played Kunta Kinte in the original, as agreeing with T.I. (and not with Snoop).
Or as Laurence Fishburne, who plays Alex Haley in the new version, might put it.
Roots will be simulcast Monday night at 9pm ET on the History Channel and A&E, and it will continue at the same time Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.