- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free 6 Years Ago
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
Famous works of art reimagined by Reddit’s shitty_watercolour
The Mona Lisa and more, as only Reddit’s most self-deprecating artist could paint them.
The average college student spends about 30 hours a week studying and in class .
What that has meant for college student and beloved Reddit user shitty_watercolour is spending less time on the site where he turns random photos and comments into paintings.
So with hardly any free time to spare, the artist decided to turn masterpieces like the Mona Lisa into watercolor works of art.
“I don’t have the time to sit and wait for opportunities to arise on reddit. Instead, I look elsewhere for inspiration and what started off as one shitty rendition of a famous painting turned into an entire series,” shitty_watercolour told the Daily Dot.
In total, he illustrated 10 famous works of art including Johannes Vermeer’s “Girl with a Pearl Earring,” Edward Hopper’s “Nighthawks,” and Hokusai’s “The Great Wave,” which he has turned into a purchasable print.
Photos of each painting reached the top of Reddit’s front page where more than 600 people praised his creativity.
“Shitty_Watercolour stopped being shitty a long time ago,” snazzgasm commented. “These are damn cool.”
In October, shitty_watercolour raised more than $2,600 for charity:water, a non-profit organization that provides clean water to developing countries. He did so by holding a live-streamed paint-a-thon.
Paintings by shitty_watercolour/Reddit, “Great Wave” GIF by Jason “Challenger” Reed
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.