- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records 8 Years Ago
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Today 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Today 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Today 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Today 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Today 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Today 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Today 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Today 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Today 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
Mario creator could use a turtle shell for his birthday
Reddit celebrates the birthday of video game guru Shigeru Miyamoto, amid lukewarm reviews of his latest game and controversy with PETA.
On the social web, however, this birthday is bittersweet. Between birthday wishes, Miyamoto faces flack from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and lukewarm reviews for his latest game.
As with Grand Theft Auto and Skyrim, it takes just one big video game to unleash the social media hype-beast. Miyamoto, the mastermind behind a dozen massive video games, enjoyed this phenomenon proportionately. A birthday tribute made it to r/gaming’s front page.
“I’m glad to have grown up playing this man’s creations and continue to do so, and
I look forward to his future creations. Happy Birthday Shigeru Miyamoto! Thank you for a very awesome childhood,” wrote redditor Anteres.
Miyamoto’s birthday wishes also consumed the morning’s Twitter traffic, with thousands of mentions, though no global trending topic.
“Happy birthday Shigeru Miyamoto! You’re probably the reason why I make games for a living,” tweeted @majesticxii.
However, not everything was Super Mario sunshine and rainbows for Miyamoto today. The game creator also faces ho-hum reviews for his upcoming game, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
“GameSpot just gave Skyward Sword a 7.5/10. Incoming Internet shitstorm in 5… 4… 3…,” tweeted @jasonschreier.
PETA has also found Miyamoto’s birthday week an opportune time to begin railing on him. The controversial animal rights group is upset with Miyamoto’s most recent release, Super Mario 3D Land, because Mario wears a fur suit supposedly made from the fictional “Tanooki.”
“PETA protests Mario’s Tanooki Suit for glorifying fur. Epic culture fail: It’s a reference to a shape-shifting yokai,” tweeted @Matt_Alt, a Japanese culture expert.
Shigeru Miyamoto, take it from the Daily Dot: if you want to have the happiest 59th birthday possible, stay offline for the day.
Photo by Vincent Diamante
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.