- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
Reddit celebrates the birthday of video game guru Shigeru Miyamoto, amid lukewarm reviews of his latest game and controversy with PETA.
On the social web, however, this birthday is bittersweet. Between birthday wishes, Miyamoto faces flack from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and lukewarm reviews for his latest game.
As with Grand Theft Auto and Skyrim, it takes just one big video game to unleash the social media hype-beast. Miyamoto, the mastermind behind a dozen massive video games, enjoyed this phenomenon proportionately. A birthday tribute made it to r/gaming’s front page.
“I’m glad to have grown up playing this man’s creations and continue to do so, and
I look forward to his future creations. Happy Birthday Shigeru Miyamoto! Thank you for a very awesome childhood,” wrote redditor Anteres.
Miyamoto’s birthday wishes also consumed the morning’s Twitter traffic, with thousands of mentions, though no global trending topic.
“Happy birthday Shigeru Miyamoto! You’re probably the reason why I make games for a living,” tweeted @majesticxii.
However, not everything was Super Mario sunshine and rainbows for Miyamoto today. The game creator also faces ho-hum reviews for his upcoming game, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
“GameSpot just gave Skyward Sword a 7.5/10. Incoming Internet shitstorm in 5… 4… 3…,” tweeted @jasonschreier.
PETA has also found Miyamoto’s birthday week an opportune time to begin railing on him. The controversial animal rights group is upset with Miyamoto’s most recent release, Super Mario 3D Land, because Mario wears a fur suit supposedly made from the fictional “Tanooki.”
“PETA protests Mario’s Tanooki Suit for glorifying fur. Epic culture fail: It’s a reference to a shape-shifting yokai,” tweeted @Matt_Alt, a Japanese culture expert.
Shigeru Miyamoto, take it from the Daily Dot: if you want to have the happiest 59th birthday possible, stay offline for the day.
Photo by Vincent Diamante
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.