- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Today 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Today 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Today 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Today 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Today 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Today 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Today 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ Today 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Today 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
Mario creator could use a turtle shell for his birthday
Reddit celebrates the birthday of video game guru Shigeru Miyamoto, amid lukewarm reviews of his latest game and controversy with PETA.
On the social web, however, this birthday is bittersweet. Between birthday wishes, Miyamoto faces flack from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and lukewarm reviews for his latest game.
As with Grand Theft Auto and Skyrim, it takes just one big video game to unleash the social media hype-beast. Miyamoto, the mastermind behind a dozen massive video games, enjoyed this phenomenon proportionately. A birthday tribute made it to r/gaming’s front page.
“I’m glad to have grown up playing this man’s creations and continue to do so, and
I look forward to his future creations. Happy Birthday Shigeru Miyamoto! Thank you for a very awesome childhood,” wrote redditor Anteres.
Miyamoto’s birthday wishes also consumed the morning’s Twitter traffic, with thousands of mentions, though no global trending topic.
“Happy birthday Shigeru Miyamoto! You’re probably the reason why I make games for a living,” tweeted @majesticxii.
However, not everything was Super Mario sunshine and rainbows for Miyamoto today. The game creator also faces ho-hum reviews for his upcoming game, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
“GameSpot just gave Skyward Sword a 7.5/10. Incoming Internet shitstorm in 5… 4… 3…,” tweeted @jasonschreier.
PETA has also found Miyamoto’s birthday week an opportune time to begin railing on him. The controversial animal rights group is upset with Miyamoto’s most recent release, Super Mario 3D Land, because Mario wears a fur suit supposedly made from the fictional “Tanooki.”
“PETA protests Mario’s Tanooki Suit for glorifying fur. Epic culture fail: It’s a reference to a shape-shifting yokai,” tweeted @Matt_Alt, a Japanese culture expert.
Shigeru Miyamoto, take it from the Daily Dot: if you want to have the happiest 59th birthday possible, stay offline for the day.
Photo by Vincent Diamante
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.