- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Photo via Yann Caradec/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Happens to the best of us.
For one thing, she told Gayle King at TED2017 Tuesday, she never meant to send the now-famous photo of herself captioned “20 weeks” publicly. She had been keeping track of her progress and accidentally added the photo to her Snapchat story instead of saving it to her phone.
Serena Williams is pregnant!! ❤️❤️ pic.twitter.com/u2RfhSzlcB
— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) April 19, 2017
“I was on vacation, taking time for myself, and I have this thing where I’ve been checking my status and taking a picture every week,” Williams explained. “I’ve been just saving it, but you know how social media is—you press the wrong button and… My phone doesn’t ring that much, and 30 minutes later, I’d missed four calls. So I picked it up and realized, ‘Oh no.’”
According to the Associated Press, Williams had planned to reveal her pregnancy soon anyway so the accidental photo being sent wasn’t a huge thing for her.
Williams also touched on her worries about playing tennis early in her pregnancy prior to the Australian Open—she found out two weeks before—and decided that she needed to play anyway. She won that tournament, securing her 23rd Grand Slam as well as retrospective respect from viewers who realized she she won it while pregnant. She won’t play for the rest of 2017 but plans to come back to the sport she’s dominated for so long.
“This is just a new part of my life,” Williams said. “My baby is going to be in the stands, hopefully cheering for me and not crying too much.”
H/T Associated Press
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.