- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish 2 Years Ago
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp 2 Years Ago
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Today 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying woman can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Today 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Today 11:14 AM
- ‘Storm Area 51’ creator says its gotten so big he’s worried about the FBI Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone loves Q baby, the baby who apparently supports QAnon Today 9:53 AM
- Thread about ‘depression meals’ is inspiring lots of relatable answers Today 9:36 AM
- How long is ‘Avengers: Infinity War’? Today 9:30 AM
- Rand Paul ripped for halting 9/11 Victim Fund re-authorization bill Today 9:18 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
- The glorious highs and unexpected quirks of 4K streaming Today 6:00 AM
- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
Photo via Yann Caradec/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
Happens to the best of us.
For one thing, she told Gayle King at TED2017 Tuesday, she never meant to send the now-famous photo of herself captioned “20 weeks” publicly. She had been keeping track of her progress and accidentally added the photo to her Snapchat story instead of saving it to her phone.
Serena Williams is pregnant!! ❤️❤️ pic.twitter.com/u2RfhSzlcB— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) April 19, 2017
“I was on vacation, taking time for myself, and I have this thing where I’ve been checking my status and taking a picture every week,” Williams explained. “I’ve been just saving it, but you know how social media is—you press the wrong button and… My phone doesn’t ring that much, and 30 minutes later, I’d missed four calls. So I picked it up and realized, ‘Oh no.’”
According to the Associated Press, Williams had planned to reveal her pregnancy soon anyway so the accidental photo being sent wasn’t a huge thing for her.
Williams also touched on her worries about playing tennis early in her pregnancy prior to the Australian Open—she found out two weeks before—and decided that she needed to play anyway. She won that tournament, securing her 23rd Grand Slam as well as retrospective respect from viewers who realized she she won it while pregnant. She won’t play for the rest of 2017 but plans to come back to the sport she’s dominated for so long.
“This is just a new part of my life,” Williams said. “My baby is going to be in the stands, hopefully cheering for me and not crying too much.”
H/T Associated Press
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.