- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
Samuel L. Jackson to voters: “Wake the f*ck up”
The profane Hollywood actor has a simple message in regards to the upcoming presidential election.
Samuel L. Jackson has one message for people who don’t care about this year’s election:
GIF by Fernando Alfonso III
The Jewish Council for Education and Research, the liberal Super PAC responsible for Sarah Silverman’s proposal to scissor billionaire Sheldon Adelson that went viral last month, has recruited Jackson for the latest unauthorized pro-Obama ad.
The ad channels Jackson’s viral reading of the “children’s book” Go the Fuck to Sleep from 2011 and plays out as a children’s story. While it starts off similarly to the aforementioned book, it follows Jackson and “Susie” as they try to rouse her apathetic family into caring about the election in November.
The video targets everyone from baby boomers to young women, college students to the elderly, as Susie’s family is initially wary to take action until Jackson pops in and gives them a piece of his mind.
As the title suggests, “Wake the Fuck Up” is as profanity-ridden as the children’s book Jackson narrated. Adam Mansbach, who wrote Go the Fuck to Sleep, also penned the script for the video, and once he found out that Jackson had been cast he revised the script for him, according to Yahoo!
Here’s a sample of Jackson’s deadpanned narrative:
“Sorry my friend, but there’s no time to snore/an out-of-touch millionaire has just declared war/on schools, the environment, unions, fair pay/ We’re all on our own if Romney has his way/And he’s against safety nets. If you fall, tough luck/ So I strongly suggest that you wake the fuck up.”
Jackson’s new ad seems to be a hit online. While the original video appeared on the official Wake the Fuck Up website, it later appeared on YouTube and is currently stuck at 303 views
“This video is better than talking to a chair any day,” WChrisbell wrote, who referenced actor Clint Eastwood’s conversation with an empty chair (meant to represent President Obama) during the Republican National Convention last month.
Users of social news site Reddit argued the political points brought up in the video in r/politics, from both sides of the political fence and point out the hypocrisy in Jackson telling them to go to sleep in one video but to wake up in another.
Photo via YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.