- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
The profane Hollywood actor has a simple message in regards to the upcoming presidential election.
Samuel L. Jackson has one message for people who don’t care about this year’s election:
GIF by Fernando Alfonso III
The Jewish Council for Education and Research, the liberal Super PAC responsible for Sarah Silverman’s proposal to scissor billionaire Sheldon Adelson that went viral last month, has recruited Jackson for the latest unauthorized pro-Obama ad.
The ad channels Jackson’s viral reading of the “children’s book” Go the Fuck to Sleep from 2011 and plays out as a children’s story. While it starts off similarly to the aforementioned book, it follows Jackson and “Susie” as they try to rouse her apathetic family into caring about the election in November.
The video targets everyone from baby boomers to young women, college students to the elderly, as Susie’s family is initially wary to take action until Jackson pops in and gives them a piece of his mind.
As the title suggests, “Wake the Fuck Up” is as profanity-ridden as the children’s book Jackson narrated. Adam Mansbach, who wrote Go the Fuck to Sleep, also penned the script for the video, and once he found out that Jackson had been cast he revised the script for him, according to Yahoo!
Here’s a sample of Jackson’s deadpanned narrative:
“Sorry my friend, but there’s no time to snore/an out-of-touch millionaire has just declared war/on schools, the environment, unions, fair pay/ We’re all on our own if Romney has his way/And he’s against safety nets. If you fall, tough luck/ So I strongly suggest that you wake the fuck up.”
Jackson’s new ad seems to be a hit online. While the original video appeared on the official Wake the Fuck Up website, it later appeared on YouTube and is currently stuck at 303 views
“This video is better than talking to a chair any day,” WChrisbell wrote, who referenced actor Clint Eastwood’s conversation with an empty chair (meant to represent President Obama) during the Republican National Convention last month.
Users of social news site Reddit argued the political points brought up in the video in r/politics, from both sides of the political fence and point out the hypocrisy in Jackson telling them to go to sleep in one video but to wake up in another.
Photo via YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.