- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
Warning: This article contains autoplay video.
Longtime correspondent Samantha Bee is leaving The Daily Show after 12 years to star in a TBS comedy, making her the third member of the cast to announce a departure in the past month starting with Jon Stewart’s planned retirement.
But she’s not leaving for the TBS comedy for which Jason Jones, a fellow Daily Show correspondent and her husband, is leaving (although she will be producing it); she’ll be getting her own TV show. It’s in the early stages of development and is being set up as “a platform for Bee to apply her smart and satirical point of view to current and relevant issues.”
Both Bee and Jones will be executive producers, making this another family affair.
“We’re thrilled to have Sam join Jason at TBS and really make this a family affair. We actually have their kids coming in next week to pitch us animation,” Brett Weitz, executive vice president of original programming for TBS, said in a statement. “Like her fans around the country, we absolutely adore everything about Sam, from her straight-faced sarcasm and ruthless wit to her uncanny ability to mine comedy gold from just about any awkward situation. After watching Sam’s work for years, we knew that her distinctive humor and talent belong at the front of her own show.”
Bee has yet to publicly comment on her departure from The Daily Show, but she did hint that something big was about to happen.
Lord thundering Jesus this day is about to get exciting.
— Samantha Bee (@iamsambee) March 5, 2015
Bee was the longest-running correspondent on the show prior to her announcement, so to mark her departure we’ve gathered some of her best clips.
1) Federally funded penis pumps
A dive into why Republicans’ issues with Medicare and women’s contraception led Bee to discovering something even bigger that not many people may have realized: the fact that penis pumps were covered under Medicare.
2) Pink fracking
One of the companies whose product has been linked to cancer launched a breast cancer campaign, which allows Bee to take the issue of “pinkwashing” head-on.
3) RNC 2012: The road to Jeb Bush 2016
The Daily Show excels at letting people make themselves look bad, and as she reported from the Republican National Convention back in 2012, she learned about how the policies would help pretty much everyone—unless you had a uterus, that is.
4) John McCain chooses a running mate
Sarah Palin was announced as John McCain’s running mate in 2008, and Bee’s portrayal of how McCain treated female voters was spot-on.
5) The audacity of grope
Screengrab via The Daily Show
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.