- The ultimate cord-cutting guide for bilingual families Today 5:00 AM
- Boys’ sleepovers vs. girls’ sleepovers meme takes stereotypes to absurd heights Tuesday 7:30 PM
- Petition wants Keanu Reeves to be named ‘Time Person of the Year’ Tuesday 6:33 PM
- 8 women accuse Max Landis of sexual, emotional abuse Tuesday 5:37 PM
- Taylor Swift accused of copying Beyoncé—again Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Everything you need to know about Libra, Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Tuesday 4:45 PM
- Netflix just renewed ‘Queer Eye’ for 2 more seasons Tuesday 4:32 PM
- YouTube’s queen of failed robots just unveiled a one-of-a-kind Tesla truck Tuesday 3:58 PM
- AOC infuriates conservatives with ‘concentration camps’ remark Tuesday 3:33 PM
- TikTok users explore identity with Lin Manuel Miranda-inspired meme Tuesday 3:24 PM
- TikTok apology video inspires new duet meme Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Man sues brewery after identifying as female to get beer discount Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in July 2019 Tuesday 2:22 PM
- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil Tuesday 1:26 PM
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Tuesday 12:28 PM
Seth Rogen and James Franco take their gluttonous recipes to ‘Epic Meal Time’
‘Epic Meal Time’ gets a Korean BBQ makeover thanks to the ‘Interview’ stars.
Imagine an exotic lasagna recipe that totals more than 33,000 calories and 2,169 grams of fat, and you know it has to be from the mad food scientists at Epic Meal Time.
In the latest installment of the wildly popular YouTube series that spawned an equally outrageous cable TV show, Epic Meal Empire, we find film buddies Seth Rogen and James Franco creating a Korean BBQ Lasagna that represents a thinly veiled promo for their new film, The Interview. The movie reunites the Franco-Rogen team (Pineapple Express, End of the World) as a talk show host and producer who go on a mission to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un.
Aside from the brief mention of The Interview at the end of the episode, this heavily bleeped installment is all about the dynamic duo kicking the show’s star Harley Morenstein out of the kitchen (they call the bearded one “Harvey Morgenstein”) where they take over creating a mess-terpiece that blends together all things fatty with all things spicy. The net result is something that would require an asbestos palate.
As in many Franco-Rogen bits, the shtick is either very funny or extremely labored. Their improv take on the Six Degrees of Kevin Kimchi Bacon is clever but the mumbled asides aimed at demeaning Epic’s host Morenstein are fairly laugh-free. Rogen, an experienced comic has much better chops than his cinematic friend which was made obvious in their Kim-Kanye sendup, Bound 2 and on Discovery’s Naked and Afraid.
While this Epic Meal Time take is far from the series’ best, it’s all in good fun. That is, unless you try and cook and digest this heart attack waiting to happen. To that, I say haeng-un-eul bil-eo yo (행운을 빌어 요).
Screengrab via Epic Meal Time/YouTube
Allen Weiner has been a market research analyst in the area of new media and technology since 1994. He’s worked as writer, publisher and newspaper executive. He is the co-founder and publisher of Kombucha Network and the former managing vice president of Gartner.