- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire 8 Years Ago
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction 8 Years Ago
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained 8 Years Ago
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Today 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Today 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Today 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Today 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
- Ready for Dark Mode? Here’s how to get it, and everything else in iOS 13 Today 11:41 AM
Reblog: Kim Jong-Il, Newt Gingrich, and the Frogman
Death becomes the Korean dictator, Newt Gingrich shows his classic figure, and the Frogman proves there’s a real person behind Tumblr’s comic genius.
In this Christmas eve eve edition of Reblog, Newt Gringrich got nude, Kim Jong-Il laid down some licks, and the Frogman leapt onto our radar. Oh, and we made a few more additions to Gosblr, our court-mandated Ryan Gosling rehabilitation program.
So put down the Carlo Rossi and read what you missed on Tumblr while you were stuck at the airport.
First up, former North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il died on Saturday and Tumblr paid tribute to him its in its own special way all week long. We found Kim Jong-Il Dropping the Bass, where he goes all Nicki Minaj on us and drops the beat down low. Where’s your Spotify playlist, bro?
Remember Kim Jong-Il Looking at Things, a blog consisting of him just, well, looking at things? That was obviously obsolete the moment you reblogged it. So there’s a spinoff dedicated to his son, the country’s new leader: Kim Jong-Un Looking at Things. Same premise, similar grumpy face, just newer!
Speaking of attention-craving power figures, we found Newt’s Nudes. I wish I didn’t have to explain this so I’ll just plagiarize my coworker, Lauren Orsini, and let her explain it: “The site features the GOP candidate’s cherubic cheeks and doughy chin superimposed on likewise padded Renaissance bodies.” Newt would totally fit in as an Ugly Renaissance Baby.
Also this week, we profiled the awesome Frogman, the man behind your favorite GIFs, mashups, and everything that makes the Internet a fabulous place. He is Benjamin Grelle, a 30-year-old guy who lives in his parents’ house in St. Louis and can’t hold a steady job. Yet, he’s amassed more than 70,000 followers and is one of the most influential figures on Tumblr. No, this has not changed your image of Tumblr, I realize.
Lastly, on our Gosblr this week, we added Campaign Staff Ryan Gosling, Silicon Valley Ryan Gosling and Oh My Gosling, because that just had to exist, right?
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.