- Reddit AITA: Man verbally abused partner through cat impersonations Monday 7:18 PM
- Facebook finally lets you kill distracting navigation bar notifications Monday 6:14 PM
- Artist says Thinx underwear campaign ripped off their memes (updated) Monday 5:48 PM
- Google reportedly gathering millions of Americans’ personal health records Monday 5:00 PM
- Trina goes off on Walmart shopper who allegedly called her the ‘N-word’ Monday 4:14 PM
- Bored of Helvetica? iOS users finally have some new font options Monday 4:00 PM
- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators Monday 3:56 PM
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ Monday 3:50 PM
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle Monday 3:35 PM
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political Monday 3:30 PM
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment Monday 3:26 PM
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok Monday 3:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Monday 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Monday 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Monday 1:29 PM
Reblog: Kim Jong-Il, Newt Gingrich, and the Frogman
Death becomes the Korean dictator, Newt Gingrich shows his classic figure, and the Frogman proves there’s a real person behind Tumblr’s comic genius.
In this Christmas eve eve edition of Reblog, Newt Gringrich got nude, Kim Jong-Il laid down some licks, and the Frogman leapt onto our radar. Oh, and we made a few more additions to Gosblr, our court-mandated Ryan Gosling rehabilitation program.
So put down the Carlo Rossi and read what you missed on Tumblr while you were stuck at the airport.
First up, former North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il died on Saturday and Tumblr paid tribute to him its in its own special way all week long. We found Kim Jong-Il Dropping the Bass, where he goes all Nicki Minaj on us and drops the beat down low. Where’s your Spotify playlist, bro?
Remember Kim Jong-Il Looking at Things, a blog consisting of him just, well, looking at things? That was obviously obsolete the moment you reblogged it. So there’s a spinoff dedicated to his son, the country’s new leader: Kim Jong-Un Looking at Things. Same premise, similar grumpy face, just newer!
Speaking of attention-craving power figures, we found Newt’s Nudes. I wish I didn’t have to explain this so I’ll just plagiarize my coworker, Lauren Orsini, and let her explain it: “The site features the GOP candidate’s cherubic cheeks and doughy chin superimposed on likewise padded Renaissance bodies.” Newt would totally fit in as an Ugly Renaissance Baby.
Also this week, we profiled the awesome Frogman, the man behind your favorite GIFs, mashups, and everything that makes the Internet a fabulous place. He is Benjamin Grelle, a 30-year-old guy who lives in his parents’ house in St. Louis and can’t hold a steady job. Yet, he’s amassed more than 70,000 followers and is one of the most influential figures on Tumblr. No, this has not changed your image of Tumblr, I realize.
Lastly, on our Gosblr this week, we added Campaign Staff Ryan Gosling, Silicon Valley Ryan Gosling and Oh My Gosling, because that just had to exist, right?
A former editorial operations specialist and staff writer for the Daily Dot, Jordan Valinsky is a tech reporter and web culture commentator. His work has been published by the Week, Digiday, CNNMoney, Popular Mechanics, Vice, Mic, and Betabeat.