- Amazon still won’t say whether ICE uses its facial recognition tech 1 Month Ago
- Ninja to host Thursday Night Football Today 12:00 PM
- How to stream the NFL’s Week 15 for free Today 12:00 PM
- An undecorated room sets off a debate on Twitter Today 11:42 AM
- Netflix announces Taylor Swift ‘Reputation’ concert film Today 11:29 AM
- People are making memes out of these ‘leaked’ ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ posters Today 11:12 AM
- How to watch the Liga MX final between Club América and Cruz Azul online for free Today 10:38 AM
- Parents shocked by KKK costumes in school play Today 10:11 AM
- Learn why light therapy is the key to keeping winter skin at bay Today 9:38 AM
- Laura Loomer says she’s been banned from GoFundMe Today 9:14 AM
- Here’s why we might not see the Defenders on Disney+ anytime soon Today 9:09 AM
- Trump declares that he never told Michael Cohen to do any crimes Today 8:37 AM
- What does this toy ‘dinosaur’ look like to you? Today 8:18 AM
- Jose Canseco takes a swing at becoming Trump’s next chief of staff Today 8:11 AM
- Taylor Swift uses facial recognition to ID stalkers at concert Today 7:54 AM
Rebel Wilson said she’s the first plus-sized woman to star in a rom-com—but she’s wrong
Rebel Wilson’s recent comments on the Ellen Degeneres Show have other plus-sized women and allies up in arms. She told DeGeneres last week that her role in the upcoming film Isn’t it Romantic, stars her as, “The first ever plus-sized girl to be the star of a romantic comedy.”
Twitter immediately clapped back, calling out the Pitch Perfect star for trying to erase the contributions of Queen Latifah and Mo’Nique to the genre.
Both have starred in rom-coms. Both are plus-sized women. And both are women of color.
I shared my honest & respectful thoughts on Rebel Wilson’s erasure of iconic plus sized women before her.
Her blocking a fellow plus woman in this industry is a reminder that she doesn’t want to acknowledge her plus peers but rather ignore them entirely. pic.twitter.com/icUvY9QrCR
— Nabela (@Nabela) November 3, 2018
Don’t get me wrong – there aren’t nearly enough fat and plus-size actresses cast as romantic leads but that statement from Rebel Wilson – issa no. pic.twitter.com/32x3n6izYx
— ReBecca “Rebel Wilson Blocked Me” Theodore-Vachon (@FilmFatale_NYC) November 1, 2018
Rebel Wilson saying she’s the first plus sized girl in a rom com like this iconic gem doesn’t exist pic.twitter.com/iblpPM4TXZ
— tony (@florababe_) November 1, 2018
To add fuel to the fire, Wilson began blocking anyone who called her out.
Watching @RebelWilson block every person who says anything even remotely shady about her ego driven occupation of special space should feel funny but it’s really not
— Sydette is gonna go actually help (@Blackamazon) November 4, 2018
And the follower Wilson did respond to got her in even more trouble. Wilson said the other films were in a “slight grey area” because it’s not confirmed the actresses were plus-sized when filming those movies or if they were actually “billed as a studio rom-com.”
Twitter definitely didn’t see it that way.
Not much grey area. pic.twitter.com/GtAz5a8t8D
— Franklin Leonard (@franklinleonard) November 2, 2018
Rebel. Rebel. pic.twitter.com/rPohfQVNZH
— 🍋 (@Ritawhoras) November 2, 2018
Then, Mo’Nique herself chimed in, nudging the star to “know the history” before taking credit for it.
Hey my sweet sister. Let’s please not allow this business to erase our talent with giving grey areas and technicalities. Take a moment and know the history. DON’T BE A PART OF ERASING IT. I wish you the best.
— Mo'Nique Worldwide (@moworldwide) November 3, 2018
Wilson responded, saying, “it was never my intention to erase anyone else’s achievements and I adore you and Queen Latifah so so much,” adding “I support all plus size ladies and everything positive we are doing together,” and a heart emoji.
Hi Monique, it was never my intention to erase anyone else’s achievements and I adore you and Queen Latifah so so much x I support all plus size ladies and everything positive we are doing together ❤️
— Rebel Wilson (@RebelWilson) November 3, 2018
Wilson’s new film has her starring as a New Yorker trapped in a love triangle between two men, played by Liam Hemsworth and Adam DeVine.
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.